+ Reply to Thread

Cool young 16 year old male lossing hair :/

Hi everyone, I turned 16 about a couple months ago. I have been suffering hair loss for about 7 months now.

So I am going to tell you my story, and detail the challenges that I face now.

Okay, so in the beginning of last school year, I had a long, full, and really thick head of hair. My hair was grown out a lot and was really long. Shortly after December, I started noticing that I was losing a lot of strands a day. In the mornings there would be hair strands all over the place on my bathroom sink. My hair still felt fine so I just figured it was normal for long haired people to lose lots of strands. Well then February came around and it was getting worse. I could run my finger through my hair and be holding 1 or 2 strands. So now I was getting a little worried. I began to start seeing a lot of dandruff in my hair, it was like it was always there. Of course I wore a hat so I figured that was why. Well months later april came around and I decided that I would try head and shoulders shampoo to see if it would do anything so I followed the proper procedure for the shampoo and washed it out properly. When it was on my scalp felt very weird and tingly, a strange feeling. What was bad was after I got out of the shower, I ran my fingers through my hair and out come with them about 200 strands. I could literally grab a section of hair, stroke it, and a whole ton would come out. I freaked out. I lost and incredible amount of hair in less then 2 hours. I sat there and counted all of the strands that were in the sink. I had lost over 370 strands after one shower. It was devastating. By this time in late april my hair loss, or thinning, was showing its affect. I had a full head of hair and everything became so thin, it is hard to describe. At that time There were no bald patches, just thin overall. After that night I took things easy with my hair, I applied a casual shampoo lightly in the shower. I never touched the dandruff stuff again. So then another couple months past and it was the middle of june, right before school ended I could not deal with having long hair in this condition anymore (I loved my long hair before this started happening ) so I cut everything off, really short. At first it felt great, I wasn't noticing my hair loss anymore and I was really chill with it all. sadly to say as my hair grew again and I noticed it a lot more. about two months ago, I came out of the shower and looked in the mirror. I could see clearly a long white strip of scalp, the row of my hair were the roots are. It freaked me out, because I would never see my scalp when it was wet. When my hair was dry it looked fine though. a month passed and It was a lot more present, there were many, many white areas on my scalp when its wet.

Well now I'm here. My hair is about 2 inches long. After a shower I see a lot of scalp on both sides of my head, the top part is pretty full. My hair line receded a little bit on my left side. I can run my hand through my head and come out with about 6 strands. My hair is in the weakest state it's every been in. When its dry, under a light a lot of scalp can be shown if the hair isn't combed a certain way. Up close my hair strands are very spread apart. It still looks normal overall when dry but It's only going to last a few more months.

All in all, hair thinning is a total bummer. Really kills my chill vibes sometimes. I try not to let it hit me hard but sometimes it's a little to depressing. I have never once cried over my hair loss, I haven't reached that point and I'm trying to not let it effect me. Some times I try to it just never happens, I'm just too mellow to let a thing like that get me down.

Now let me tell you what my real problem is, let me tell you guys a little about myself.

Well, so far I've been to 3 different high schools. I just started a new one two weeks ago. After my first year I was separated from all my friends at my school and my best, closest friend moved up north. I pretty much have 2 friends now, both at different schools. I don't really talk to them much anymore so I pretty much just stay home all day. I've never had a girl friend, i feel so lame saying this but its the truth. I'm not horribly ugly or nerdy It's just it's never happened. It's a bummer man, but I guess chicks just can't dig it man hahaha. My grades are good, I'm siting with a 3.2gpa. I'm trying really hard to get good grades because I know that life is going to be hard not having hair so I need to be as successful as possible. Especially in the business world as I want to pursue a career in business and graphic design. I want to get into a good school I just don't know what yet. Now more about myself, my father suffered exactly what I went through but his stared happening at about age 29. So it's started about 15 years earlier for me. Bummer, I know. My social life kind of blows at the moment. I'm at a new school, I don't know anyone, I don't talk to my to friends often, no relationship status. So I pretty much just come home, and listen to music all day. I don't like to read, but I am great with photoshop so that takes up some of my free time. Anyways,

Now you guys know the real problems I'm facing. Hair thinning has affected me negatively, but I don't sit around and mope about it. I am an extremely chill guy, I just tell myself, this shit is happening. Be cool. Honestly, my main concern is that I can finally have a life. I want friends, girls, and everything. Hopefully this new school will be cool, but even if it isn't there's still college. And you know what? I'm not worried about being semi bald or thing in college because I'll be an adult.I just want to be able to develop a social life, and am afraid that having thin hair will impair that. I want to be able to still live and enjoy life, have fun, make friends, be successful, without being dragged down by this whole hair thing.

I am a young kid. Hair loss it a total bummer, I wish it wasn't happening but life goes on bro. I am continuing my life. Now I just need to, get some friends, meet some girls and get on with life. I am a social person, just at first I come off as a little shy but after that its all cool. I went from a private small school to a ghetto almost all African- American school, now I'm at a regular main high-school, all new. That's why I think I didn't meet anyone last year because of the environment. Hopefully this year will be better, grades, girls and a good time. That's what I want. If not then I can wait till college. I'm not letting the hair give me problems.

Let me hear your opinion on my story. I really wanted to join a community where I can be open and discuss the troubles of hair loss. Can you dig that? haha

Have a good day all, take it easy.
    tony

From here it goes one of two places.

You CONTROL it.

or

It controls you.

Simply, your choice.

And please dont take that first post as i think its not a big deal or to gut it out and toughen up.

Loosing my hair beat the sh it out of me, cost me 3 decades of hapiness and to this day, has its consequences.

I COULD have written your story. ALL the same feelings.

Are/haveyou /will you try propecia?

Dude my story goes just like your. The only difrence is that i am in Europe. It feels good to know that i am not the only one

Smile

Hair loss at any age can be difficult, but there is no doubt that when it happens so young it can be brutal. You seem to have a very good attitude about your grades and the importance of becoming successful. What’s interesting is that the initial set back of hair loss might be what drives you to be super successful and if that’s the case then you’ll certainly be tuning lemons into lemonade. One thing is for sure, you have joined the most supportive community on the internet and you should check out Spencer Kobren’s show for support also at www.thebaldtruth.com.

If its any comfort... I graduated highschool a virgin weighing in at 115lbs. I was really popular, but just not getting the female attention I wanted and that weighed on me. That frustration I believe made me push myself very hard. I actually joined the USMC, went to college, and now own a successful engineering firm. A big part of this is my self perception that I had to work harder than the next guy because I wasn't born 6'3" with a swimmers build. If you can focus on turning life's tougher points into positive outcomes it will serve you well. You can also let it destroy you.

Now granted, I'm still single, but its by choice (trying to find the preverbal "one" and am tired of dating women I'm halfway interested in, and having watched so many friends do the child-support thing I'm horrified of a one-night or multi-night stand going wrong). Now my personal successes have overshadowed my shortness and balding, and lightweight frame to some degree, but whats infinitely more important is the self esteem repair it provided me.

Yeah dude go see a doctor you might have tht thing that Charlie Villanueva has go google his name and put disease hair it will bring up the name of it and then check the symptoms cus its not normal for that to happen and it cant be from dandruff unlessu havent washd ur hair for like 3 years or something.
    Hope this helps you !