Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Maaz
    • Aug 2012

Advice for Male Pattern Baldness at 20?

So I very recently turned 20 and have noticed some male pattern baldness. With the right haircut I can cover the pattern, but of course it's still there. I have noticed my hair on the top thinning, though I haven't really noticed hair falling or hair on my pillow. I also sometimes have dandruff and some seborrheic dermatitis, but with regular shampooing I'm able to control these things. After using a certain type of shampoo my barber said that my scalp wasn't red and looked fine.

Anyways, I should also say that there's a family history. My mother's father side of the family has a history of hair loss, I have several relatives that began losing their hair in their 20s, one relative at my age. Many of these relatives are semi-bald in their late 20s. In my ethnicity in general, it seems many people experience hair loss from early age.

I'm not overly obsessed with my hair (I prefer my hair short anyways), and wouldn't want to do any surgeries, but if possible I'd like to slow down any such hair loss in a normal way. I've been taking some vitamins for hair as I'm not a fan of applying 100 chemicals to my scalp. Any advice would be great. A couple photos are attached.

the lighting/photo quality is not great, but as you may see the thinning at the top. Thanks in advance
  • Tracy C
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Maaz
    I've been taking some vitamins for hair as I'm not a fan of applying 100 chemicals to my scalp. Any advice would be great. A couple photos are attached.
    There are currently only two medication that are proven to treat hereditary hair loss and approved by the FDA for that purpose. Of those two medications, only one is applied to the scalp (twice a day). It's called Minoxidil, which is the active ingredient in Rogaine. The other medication is a pill you take once a day. It's called Propecia and the active ingredient is Finasteride. You can get Rogaine without a prescription, but you need a prescription from a doctor to get Propecia.

You can learn everything you need to know by reading the information from the American Hair Loss Association. The link is on the right but I will place it here as well.

There are no vitamins or natural supplements that are proven to do anything meaningful or appreciable in the treatment hereditary hair loss.

Comment

• Maaz
      • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Tracy C
      There are currently only two medication that are proven to treat hereditary hair loss and approved by the FDA for that purpose. Of those two medications, only one is applied to the scalp (twice a day). It's called Minoxidil, which is the active ingredient in Rogaine. The other medication is a pill you take once a day. It's called Propecia and the active ingredient is Finasteride. You can get Rogaine without a prescription, but you need a prescription from a doctor to get Propecia.

You can learn everything you need to know by reading the information from the American Hair Loss Association. The link is on the right but I will place it here as well.

There are no vitamins or natural supplements that are proven to do anything meaningful or appreciable in the treatment hereditary hair loss.
      All right, thanks for this info, the reason I'm taking vitamins is that my mother experience hair loss one time, and after taking some iron supplements her hair grew back and now his normal. She may be anemic also.

From the photos would you say the male pattern baldness signs are very clear?

Comment

• Tracy C
        • Sep 2011

Nutritional supplements can help if the hair loss is due to malnutrition. Hereditary hair loss (both MPB and FPB) is not due to malnutrition.

It is obvious from the photos you have provided that you are thinning in the anterior/mid-anterior areas. This is a very clear sign of hereditary hair loss. Taking vitamins is not likely to hurt, I take some myself, but they are not going to help.

The only proven medication that is currently FDA approved to slow down or stop male patterned baldness is Propecia (Finasteride). The only proven medication that is currently FDA approved to grow some of your lost hair back is Rogaine (Minoxidil). Many men use both, but you need to talk to a doctor, preferably a doctor who specializes in treating hair loss.

Comment

• Maaz
          • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Tracy C
          Nutritional supplements can help if the hair loss is due to malnutrition. Hereditary hair loss (both MPB and FPB) is not due to malnutrition.

It is obvious from the photos you have provided that you are thinning in the anterior/mid-anterior areas. This is a very clear sign of hereditary hair loss. Taking vitamins is not likely to hurt, I take some myself, but they are not going to help.

The only proven medication that is currently FDA approved to slow down or stop male patterned baldness is Propecia (Finasteride). The only proven medication that is currently FDA approved to grow some of your lost hair back is Rogaine (Minoxidil). Many men use both, but you need to talk to a doctor, preferably a doctor who specializes in treating hair loss.
          When I went to the doctor specializing in such hair related issues, he basically said that I do have thinning and that if its genetics (which it mostly likely is) there's not much I can do besides such drugs.

So hereditary hair loss has a certain pattern?

Comment

• stratofortress
            • Oct 2011

When I went to the doctor specializing in such hair related issues, he basically said that I do have thinning and that if its genetics (which it mostly likely is) there's not much I can do besides such drugs.

So hereditary hair loss has a certain pattern?
            Yes. Usually the hair line recedes first and then a bald spot forms at the crown. The hair on top usually gets thinner too. The hair round the back and sides usually survives which is why balding men have that horsehoe ring of hair at the back.

Comment

• Maaz
              • Aug 2012

Here's a better photo. Do people still agree that I'm experiencing typical genetic male patter baldness?

Comment

• UK_
                • Feb 2011

That's MPB.

Comment

• dex89
                  • Jul 2012

Yes, you should get on treatment ASAP.

Comment

• Tracy C
                    • Sep 2011

Here's a better photo. Do people still agree that I'm experiencing typical genetic male patter baldness?
                    That is certainly what it looks like, so yes.

Comment

• Maaz
                      • Aug 2012

Originally posted by dex89
                      Yes, you should get on treatment ASAP.
                      You make it sound like I'm sick

Could there be underlying disease that's causing this?

Comment

• NotBelievingIt
                        • Oct 2011

You make it sound like I'm sick

Could there be underlying disease that's causing this?
                        Thats what we all hope when we finally realize whats happening....

Yes, some diseases can cause hair loss but when its a functional disease that screws with the immune system and hormonal balances your hair falls out without any kind of clear pattern (and diffuse thinning IS a pattern, sorta kinda) and its not restricted to the top of your head.

To be blunt, I'm crazily surprised at how far along you are and only know recognizing you're losing your hair.

Comment

• Maaz
                          • Aug 2012

Originally posted by NotBelievingIt
                          Thats what we all hope when we finally realize whats happening....

Yes, some diseases can cause hair loss but when its a functional disease that screws with the immune system and hormonal balances your hair falls out without any kind of clear pattern (and diffuse thinning IS a pattern, sorta kinda) and its not restricted to the top of your head.

To be blunt, I'm crazily surprised at how far along you are and only know recognizing you're losing your hair.
                          I highly doubt I have any disease though, I've been feeling very healthy, my last check up a couple years ago came out excellent. The thing is I didn't notice my hair actually falling out. Usually one notices this. For now, it seems my hair is not falling anymore, and is rather sturdy.

At first I had thought I just had a wide forehead, though past few months got more convinced it's male pattern baldness.

But my point is, should I be concerned enough to go to an actual doctor and get checked (for health problems) or can this happen as a result of bad genes?

Comment

• Tracy C
                            • Sep 2011

Usually one notices this.
                            No, not really though some people do most do not until it is already well under way.

In my case, I thought it was relatively sudden, then I went through pictures taken the years before I noticed and you can plainly see that my hair was thinning out, especially on the left side. Like a crazy woman I bought a wig and buzzed my hair off to see how much damage was done. It was a lot. A whole lot. I wish I knew then that it could be treated. But I didn't know so all it did was get worse for the next ten years until I found that it could be treated. I've been treating it ever since and I no longer need to wear wigs.

Waking up to your situation is key. Then you either decide to accept the situation and allow nature to take it's course, or start treating it.

Comment

• DepressedByHairLoss
                              • Feb 2011

I agree, hair loss really sneaks up on you and a lot of people don't notice it before it's too late. And also, a lot of people are uneducated about hair loss and fall for things that don't work before they find appropriate treatments that do work to some degree. I started laser therapy before I took Propecia because I was so naive about hair loss. In my case, noticeable hair loss happened very quickly. One year people were complimenting me on my long hair, the same time the next year I was all depressed over what was very noticeable hair loss to me. It can happen very quickly. I used to shed, but it always looked like I had a full head of hair. I chalked this up to the fact that I had long hair. I had several girlfriends who weren't suffering from hair loss, yet still shed in the shower because they had such long hair. Even when I was shedding, my stylist NEVER commented about hair loss on me. And also, I just never dreamed that hair loss could happen to me.

Comment

Working...