Hi guys 23 and just researching and researching finasteride and just want to end my paranoia and ask a few questions before I begin. I started losing my hair at a very stressful job (DoD job- requires polygraph) less than two years ago...a co worker noticed my scalp... I didn't pay attention to all the hair in my bed and thought "it would go back you're just stressed." Nope.
1. I know there is a study of WOMEN where it showed they had just as much as a good affect with 2.5mg every three days vs 1mg every day of finasteride...are there any studies for men like this? How about people's experiences and recommednations? I have rarely read it going past 1.25mg on this board without noticeable side effects
Also are the any risks (agressive prostate cancer) associated with the higher dosing? At what dosage are these risks statistically significant?
2. I'm still confused about how DHT affects hormones (T and estrogen and E2) levels in the body and what role it plays in sex drive/CNS? Is there any long term evidence about this? I am 23 and sure as hell don't want to be impotent before marriage!
3. I started minoxidil for three months and stopped it abruptly, right after a shedding phase because I wasn't ready for a lifelong committment...if I use minoxidil completely this time would I keep more hair (I'm pretty sure the answer is NO)
4. What is the evidence that side effects are long lasting once your off...also how long to return to normal... I heard 8 weeks?
5. I know of only one study that looks at whether your DHT and hormone levels return to normal after discontinuing finasteride (compared to your peers vs, say, your original values years before)...but it is only a yearlong... are there any other studies out there that study this? Personal experiences?
6. Are there any tests out there (and what are there cost-covered by insurance typically?) to run for hormonal changes before I start on fin...to crosscheck if I ever stop.
7. Why do so many people recommend to start finasteride immediately. I mean if you're body's DHT production is going to cut down to barely any, wouldn't there sort of be a natural equilibrium that that reduced sweetspot of DHT would allow only a certain amount of hair to be on your scalp long term?
Since I bodybuild for those who are looking for bodybuilding studies...I found two good ones
4/26 photo is of a two week grow
5/1 photo is of a three week grow.
Although it can get thicker I haven't kept it longer because again although the sides grow out fine the top doesn't have much hair (scalp shine)
Born with two bald spots...dad and his brothers are all bald.
The weird thing I notice about my hair is unlike the Norwood chart that shows sort of balding from the bald spot/crown my balding is (none on that back of my head, barely any on the temple..althoughits gotten worse and ALL on the top of my head EXCLUDING the bald spot/crown)
Worse comes to worse... I look good bald, can appreciate it but hey long dark eyes tan tall and my hair accentuates it so its a plus