Bald Truth Talk - Hair Loss, Hair Transplant and Hair Restoration Community  

Go Back   Bald Truth Talk - Hair Loss, Hair Transplant and Hair Restoration Community > Men's Hair Loss > Hair Loss Treatments
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2012, 07:20 PM   #1
mack_435

Default Alternative to Propecia

Hello,

I tried Propecia and it did not work for me. I am currently using 5% rogaine foam as well as Nizoral. I would like to do something to reduce the DHT affect. I was wondering what would you all recommend as the best DHT Inhibitors beside Propecia? I am wondering if I should be taking saw palmetto or applying a topical cream like spiro?

Any response would be appreciated. Thank you
mack_435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:43 PM   #2
mack_435

Any one tried and had success with using this cream . Topical Spironolactone S5 Cream?
Old 04-25-2012, 08:56 PM   #3
Tracy C

All I can say is that if I were a guy I would not touch Spironolactone in any form even with thick rubber gloves on.

If you have been on Propecia for a full year and you are still losing hair, you need to talk to your doctor to see what options might be available to you.
Tracy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:32 PM   #4
goldbondmafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
All I can say is that if I were a guy I would not touch Spironolactone in any form even with thick rubber gloves on.
Not to sound ignorant but how come? I just dont understand the effects of spiro or what it even is...
goldbondmafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:10 PM   #5
Tracy C

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldbondmafia View Post
I just dont understand the effects of spiro or what it even is...
Spiro is a potassium-sparing diuretic that is primarily used for high blood pressure and heart failure. It also has a long history of being used as an anti-androgen to treat female hirsutism as well as female hair loss and is often a component in hormone therapy for male to female transsexuals. I take Spiro for my hair loss. One of my best girlfriends used to be a boy. Spiro is one of the meds she took to feminize her body. To put it bluntly, Finasteride "might" cause negative sexual side effects for a male - but Spiro "will" cause negative sexual side effects for a male.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:30 AM   #6
goldbondmafia

Quote:
Spiro is a potassium-sparing diuretic that is primarily used for high blood pressure and heart failure. It also has a long history of being used as an anti-androgen to treat female hirsutism as well as female hair loss and is often a component in hormone therapy for male to female transsexuals. I take Spiro for my hair loss. One of my best girlfriends used to be a boy. Spiro is one of the meds she took to feminize her body. To put it bluntly, Finasteride "might" cause negative sexual side effects for a male - but Spiro "will" cause negative sexual side effects for a male.

woa appreciate the response Tracy!
Old 04-26-2012, 09:14 AM   #7
mack_435

Quote:

If you have been on Propecia for a full year and you are still losing hair, you need to talk to your doctor to see what options might be available to you.
Thanks for the response Tracy. I didn't quit Propecia because it didn't work, I had to quit do to side effects. I have tried Propecia at two different times and both times around the 6 week mark I got side effects. The 2nd time I ws just taking .25 of a 1mg a day and unfortunately it still had the same effect.

So I guess my question to you Tracy, would be if someone can't take Propecia, what should they add to their routine? I currently use rogaine foam, laser comb and Nizoral.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:42 AM   #8
Tracy C

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack_435 View Post
...if someone can't take Propecia, what should they add to their routine? I currently use rogaine foam, laser comb and Nizoral.
If you can't take Finasteride, even at such a low dose, you certainly cannot take Dutasteride and absolutely should not even think about Spiro. Currently there is nothing else that is actually proven to work. If any alternative solution actually did work, it would likely have the same side effect profile.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:34 PM   #9
goldbondmafia

sorry to bump this old thread but i was looking into spiro a bit. How would the cream cause side effects? Tracy you said you wouldn't touch it if you were a guy but wouldn't the cream be a lot better than an oral form of the drug?

I just couldn't see how cream on ones scalp would cause such side effects but then again i do not know very much about spiro.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #10
goldbondmafia

check this thread out, people seem to be using Topical S5 cream without sides and results

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post893315391