Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Westonci
    • Feb 2010

Berlin Scientist Roland Lauster Cures Baldness

Scientists in Berlin have used human adult stem cells to develop hair follicles, from which hair then grows naturally. The treatment provides new hope for pe...

This is probably the greatest development in years. Why? because this is real science with real applicable results.

It was only a matter of time. They where already growing organs such as windpipes, bladders, hearts, kidneys at wake forest university in Pennsylvania.

Heres Wake Forrest scientist Anthony Attala at a TED Talks confrence

http://www.ted.com Anthony Atala's state-of-the-art lab grows human organs -- from muscles to blood vessels to bladders, and more. At TEDMED, he shows footag...

The key that Roland Lauster and Wake Forest University have in common is using 3D biodegradable scaffold for the dermal stem cells and epithelial stem cells to grow in.
  • VictimOfDHT
    • Apr 2011

I don't know. Is this actually available or is it as usual, something that will be available in the future ? Why haven't we heard anything about it ?

Comment

• Follicle Death Row
      • May 2011

Could be promising but I heard the hairs were cosmetically insignificant. It's a start anyway.

Comment

• UK_
        • Feb 2011

It is indeed a start because it answers what Paul Kemp of Intercytex stated their procedure needed, the ability to form a matrix in which the cells could effectively communicate with each other; it seems as if Lauster has solved this issue, but with using two types of stem cells.

Comment

• CVAZBAR
          • Dec 2010

At hairsite they are claiming someone did this long time ago but still nothing. Does anyone know anything about this?

Comment

• Jundam
            • Mar 2011

There have been posts about scientists in Berlin successfully cloning hairs before. I don't think it was such a long time ago though. Think the breakthrough came about last year but I might be wrong.

Comment

• Follicle Death Row
              • May 2011

They achieved this in December 2010.

Comment

• VictimOfDHT
                • Apr 2011

[QUOTE=Follicle Death Row;37643]They achieved this in December 2010.

And it never made the news in a bigger way ?

So, does any body know if this is available in Germany ? I'm thinking about getting yet another HT because I can't bear seeing my thinning hairline any more. It's been getting worse and worse. I'd get a regular HT but after 4 HTs I'm afraid I'm exhausting my donor area where it won't be possible to do more if I lose hair at the top. I think in my case I'm going to need some form of HM because for some ****ing reason I keep losing my transplanted hair after some time.

Comment

• Follicle Death Row
                  • May 2011

It's not available yet. I think they said it's about 5 years off. Certainly don't go for another FUT if you need to conserve donor. You might consider HST or hold off for Aderans, Histogen, Replicel or Follica coming up with something. There will be something better sooner or later.

Comment

• RichardDawkins
                    Inactive
                    • Jan 2011

They didnt gave away a time span but it was in the news and also german tlevision as well, so its not so fishy as some may think it is

Comment

• VictimOfDHT
                      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Follicle Death Row
                      It's not available yet. I think they said it's about 5 years off. Certainly don't go for another FUT if you need to conserve donor. You might consider HST or hold off for Aderans, Histogen, Replicel or Follica coming up with something. There will be something better sooner or later.
                      Where did it say "5 years" ? There's nothing in the video about a time, unless it's mentioned on a website or something.

Comment

• VictimOfDHT
                        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Follicle Death Row

I'm afraid something better won't come until later, much much later if at all. What if this keeps dragging on and on and on like it has been for the past 20 years ? It's always "in the future" or "in the next 5-10 years"... I know getting another HT isn't the best in my case but losing more hairs in my hairline has turned my life into a living hell for the past 5 or 6 months and it's affecting me mentally big time. I'm thinking about FUE but what's scaring me is the lower survival rate of the hair. From what the doctor tells me it's much lower than an FUT. I don't need a big HT. I'm thinking maybe a few 100 grafts just to get me going again. **** this hell.

Comment

• Jundam
                          • Mar 2011

I usually sympathize with my fellow hair loss victims but calling your thinning hairline a living hell is far more tragic and pathetic than anything else.

As far as scientific progress goes you'd be wise to realize that nothing will always be 3 to 5 years away. Sooner or later science catches up to hope, and never before has it been as close as it is now.

Comment

• Follicle Death Row
                            • May 2011

Originally posted by VictimOfDHT
                            I'm afraid something better won't come until later, much much later if at all. What if this keeps dragging on and on and on like it has been for the past 20 years ? It's always "in the future" or "in the next 5-10 years"... I know getting another HT isn't the best in my case but losing more hairs in my hairline has turned my life into a living hell for the past 5 or 6 months and it's affecting me mentally big time. I'm thinking about FUE but what's scaring me is the lower survival rate of the hair. From what the doctor tells me it's much lower than an FUT. I don't need a big HT. I'm thinking maybe a few 100 grafts just to get me going again. **** this hell.
                            If it's only a few hundred you might look into FUE or HST to tide you over. I wish you all the best.

Comment

• Follicle Death Row
                              • May 2011

Originally posted by Jundam
                              I usually sympathize with my fellow hair loss victims but calling your thinning hairline a living hell is far more tragic and pathetic than anything else.

As far as scientific progress goes you'd be wise to realize that nothing will always be 3 to 5 years away. Sooner or later science catches up to hope, and never before has it been as close as it is now.
                              In fairness Jundam we're not talking about normal hairline recession or thinning. VictimofDHT has had multiple HTs and each time he has had some physiological problem where he has lost transplanted hair. I can only imagine how devastating that is.

Comment

Working...