+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default My story and questions. (pics)

Hi,

I'm 22 years old, my parents didn't have any hair loss, my dad's father didn't have hair loss, but my mom's father did. I ALWAYS had a lot of thick hair, and I was known in the family for having a massive amount of hair - and you could never pull out even one hair out (my GF tried so many times because she was jealous of my hair lol). I think after one more year, and I will have less hair than my father (who's over 50, still has his hair, doesn't take care of it at all, and doesn't live healthy or anything). That's going to look weird... Or is that normal?

My hair loss began August 2010, I noticed my hair falling out. I know pretty much the exact day, and I can be sure of that, as I was always very conscious about my looks (because of the career that I've chosen). I didn't do anything for about a year, because I thought it'll go away - I didn't believe that I might have male pattern baldness, because my dad had ALL of his hair.

Now, about 3 months ago I began looking for answers. I've done some tests for my thyroid, which showed that it's okay; my iron is on the low side, but still good. I've always exercised and ate good. I went to my family doctor, and she just said if it's male pattern baldness, learn to live with it, and if it's not it'll go away. I don't think it'll go away... And I don't think my testosterone is high, because I BARELY have any facial hair at 22 yo.

Can someone please give me any tips, advice? Are there any more tests, or anything else that I can take? How do I know that I'm definitely going bald, and if I do, what are the measures that I can take to prevent this or ease it up a bit? I can't really use rogaine as I'm not completely bald yet, and don't have bald spot, the hair is just very VERY thin all over. It doesn't look as bad from the front, YET.

Thanks guys! I appreciate any response! I'm including pictures (these were taken after not having haircut for about 4months, the hair barely grows!!)

Pic1
    Pic2
    Pic3
    This is how it used to look

hey Powka, this is my first post here. we both are 22 and have the same issue. my dad and his brothers, all are over 40 and have hair still. on my mother's side, it is the same but my mother's father.

Well, as far as i know, if your hair is sensitive to DHT(assuming you know what it is) your hair will fall. So it's not only about the testosterone's level. It could be sooner or later. I really do not want to give you the bad news but it's like that. Propecia is always an option if you count the pros and cons.

In here, including me, lots of guys just only wants a head like yours, believe it or not my hair loss started 3 years ago, i'm continuing my honorable war with this sickness with propecia on one hand and rogaine on the other. 1 year ago i had a FUE surgery, result was satisfactory, lacking some density but still good.

Anyway, you can also imply rogaine tbh. Just apply it well. Do your best to prevent this, as Gandalf once said: "Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth day" I'm assuming that the fifth day will be 2017.

Your best bet is to get checked out by a doctor who specializes in hair loss. If you have mpb you caught it early. You can find IAHRS approved doctors athttp://www.iahrs.org/.

Thumbs down

Your hair looks fine.

Thanks for responses guys!

I can't apply rogaine, because the hair that I do have is kind of long, so it covers some parts where I need to apply it. Unless I cut it all.

I found one doctor in Manchester using that link (he's bald himself, so that doesn't really give much hope lol). I'm definitely calling for an appointment, we'll see what he says.

Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
    Your hair looks fine.
    It's not, especially compared to what I used to have only a year ago. I've lost half of my hair at least (a year ago you could never see my scalp, you had to really try), and if this goes on, I'll be bald on top by 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Powka View Post
    Can someone please give me any tips, advice? Are there any more tests, or anything else that I can take? How do I know that I'm definitely going bald, and if I do, what are the measures that I can take to prevent this or ease it up a bit? I can't really use rogaine as I'm not completely bald yet, and don't have bald spot, the hair is just very VERY thin all over. It doesn't look as bad from the front, YET.
    Hi Powka,

Your hair looks fine in the pictures you have provided.

Since this bothers you, you need to see a doctor who specializes in treating hair loss for an evaluation. The most truthful information about hair loss can be read from this link:

http://www.americanhairloss.org/

Here is a locator to help you find a good doctor who specilizes in treating hair loss:

http://www.iahrs.org/hair-transplant/

I agree that you probably would not gain any appreciable benefit from using Rogaine or generic Minoxidil. You may benefit from using the laser comb though. Low Level Laser Therapy inceases the caliber, increases the strength and improves the quality of the hair that you have. You can find information about low level laser therapy at these links:

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/medi...laser-therapy/

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/medi...ax-laser-comb/

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/medi...loss-in-women/

You may also benefit from using Nizoral A-D shampoo once or twice per week in place of your regular shampoo. In the U.S., Nizoral A-D is available without a prescription and you can buy it at WalMart, CVS or many other stores that have a pharmacy.

My best to you,

Tracy

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    I agree that you probably would not gain any appreciable benefit from using Rogaine or generic Minoxidil. You may benefit from using the laser comb though. Low Level Laser Therapy inceases the caliber, increases the strength and improves the quality of the hair that you have. You can find information about low level laser therapy at these links:

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/medi...laser-therapy/

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/medi...ax-laser-comb/

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/medi...loss-in-women/

You may also benefit from using Nizoral A-D shampoo once or twice per week in place of your regular shampoo. In the U.S., Nizoral A-D is available without a prescription and you can buy it at WalMart, CVS or many other stores that have a pharmacy.

My best to you,

Tracy
    Hey, thanks a lot - I didn't know anything about laser surgery! I'm going to look into that right now. I wonder if there is any proven success with this treatment...

Unfortunately, I'm in UK and the only doctor approved by association is the one who's doesn't get any positive responses, as I've read on the forums just now. I'm still going to give it a shot and see what he tells me.

And yes, I've been using Nizoral for about 3 months now, but I didn't notice any positive effects from it. Hair just keeps thinning.

what is it with the careers mpb sufferers all seem to have that means they have to look hot? what is this mystery career lol

Quote Originally Posted by Powka View Post
    Hey, thanks a lot - I didn't know anything about laser surgery! I'm going to look into that right now. I wonder if there is any proven success with this treatment...

Unfortunately, I'm in UK and the only doctor approved by association is the one who's doesn't get any positive responses, as I've read on the forums just now. I'm still going to give it a shot and see what he tells me.

And yes, I've been using Nizoral for about 3 months now, but I didn't notice any positive effects from it. Hair just keeps thinning.
    This is the only legitimate hair loss forum on the internet, so be careful of what you read on other forums that take ads, sell hair loss products or do “FREE” online hair transplant consultations.

Hey Powka, where in the UK are you? I'm 28 and going through this too, but my problem is recession at the temples

Just so you know you aren't alone. Get in touch if you like. Be good to have some hair loss brethren to support and help each other