• 01-23-2012 09:05 AM
    jimbob1966
    6 Attachment(s)
    Is my hair transplant any good?
    I have surposedly had 2,500 FUE transplant, please find attached pics... I would say my hair at the back was quite thick and i was surprised that they had to use so much of my donor area up, and there doesn't appear to be that much placed up front... I was hoping it would be a little lower... what do you guys think? Is it an ok transplant or not?

I have not really had a proper clean up back there and only removed the bandage today so the blood running down the middle of my head will be cleaned up after etc...
  • 01-23-2012 01:20 PM
    DAVE52
    I cannot say whether it is good or not
    It looks fine so far
    Let's wait for the final results and then see if you are happy with it or not

As you mentioned they did appear to take the grafts from a large donor area and place them in a small receipient area in the front .

I've always wondered what happens when and if, in the future .you lose the hairs behind where the grafts are placed ?
  • 01-23-2012 04:30 PM
    8868alex
    Which Doctor did the procedure may I ask Jim?
  • 01-24-2012 12:34 AM
    jimbob1966
    I don't recall the doctors name to be honest, I went to Turkey to get it done, I was thinking everything was fine until someone made a comment, saying that they probably sold some of your follicles to someone else... I was looking for some reassurance that the amount taken from the donor area was actually used in the front, just densely...
  • 01-24-2012 07:54 AM
    Tracy C
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbob1966 View Post
    I was thinking everything was fine until someone made a comment, saying that they probably sold some of your follicles to someone else...

Just so you know, whole follicular units cannot be transplanted from one person to another. Your tramsplant looks fine. You should wait the full 12 months before deciding if it is a good transplant or not. In the mean time do your best not to worry about it. Just take really good care of yourself and focus on other things.
  • 01-24-2012 08:07 AM
    Winston
    It’s very difficult to tell too much at this point. It’s always better to spread out the extractions through the entire donor area in FUE as not to leave a buck shot effect. So far things don’t look bad from what I can make out. Upload some more photos in a few days once things are cleaned up and a little more healed.
  • 01-24-2012 08:31 AM
    jimbob1966
    I'm having difficulty choosing how best to clean my hair...

It's been 3 days since my transplant, yesterday i dabbed on some body lotion prescribed by the surgeon and rinsed it off 45 mins later, not properly though as i didn't want to rub the area, and dabbed my hair dry.

Today I am going to but cream on again and rinse of 45 mins later and gently dab on some shampoo prescribed by the doctor... i don't know if i should though... even gently dabbing on the cream i saw 3 tiny hairs on my hand, i may of dislodged the grafts...

I have not even touched the donor site as it is still producing dots of blood on my pillow...

should i just clean everything today and hope for the best?
  • 01-24-2012 10:45 AM
    Tracy C
    From your post, it sounds like your doctor did not give you proper post surgery care and cleaning advise. This worries me. I hope you read this post in time to save as many of your grafts as possible.

My doctor was very good about making sure I knew how to wash my scalp after surgery. First and foremost he told me not to allow shower water to hit my head directly for at least ten days post op. The pressure of the shower water is strong enough to dislodge the grafts. He told me to use a cup or a bowl to slowly and gently rinse the baby shampoo from my hair. Yes, he told me to use baby shampoo for the first ten days after surgery.

To apply the shampoo, he told me to lather up a generous portion of baby shampoo in my hands first. Then gently and carefully pat the shampoo onto my scalp. Once I had the shampoo everywhere it needed to be, rinse it out using a bowl or a cup very carefully.

After ten days, I was able to wash normally. However, I continued to be very careful about it until the transplanted hairs started hedding out. At that point I knew the grafts where in there permanently.
  • 01-24-2012 01:20 PM
    mixu
    I just get in touch with couple of Turckey's clinic to do so cos of the attractive price 3 or 4 times cheaper then in UK, most of them make FUE only, but I was on consultacy in one of the UK clinic and was told to go for FUT rather than FUE due to better quality of grafts thus more going to grow. I was told that just adverts make FUE so attractive but in reality the final result could be much more wores than FUT, how was it in your case why you went for FUE and any chance to find out which clinic you did that?
  • 01-24-2012 01:30 PM
    vinnytr
    Quote:

I don't recall the doctors name to be honest, I went to Turkey to get it done, I was thinking everything was fine until someone made a comment, saying that they probably sold some of your follicles to someone else... I was looking for some reassurance that the amount taken from the donor area was actually used in the front, just densely...

You cant even remember the doctor`s name ??
    Where in Turkey did you have the operation done ? What city , was it a clinic or a proper hospital environment ?
  • 01-24-2012 03:40 PM
    sausage
    I am no expert but your donor area looks very bare, it looks like there is nothing left but scalp. Is that just an illusion because of all the redness? Is there actually a decent amount of hair left in your donor region?

When you don't even know the name of the surgeon then that is very concerning.
  • 01-25-2012 01:29 AM
    jimbob1966
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sausage View Post
    I am no expert but your donor area looks very bare, it looks like there is nothing left but scalp. Is that just an illusion because of all the redness? Is there actually a decent amount of hair left in your donor region?

When you don't even know the name of the surgeon then that is very concerning.

The donor area was shaved to a grade 1 and i was razored down to the scalp, so i beleive it looks worse than it actually is.

I have all the details of the Surgeon/Surgury, It's just that i'm working away from home at the moment, I can't get the details for you right now.
  • 01-25-2012 12:21 PM
    sausage
    Hope it all works out.

Why did you choose Turkey? and why did you choose the surgeon you had?
  • 01-26-2012 02:24 AM
    jimbob1966
    price basically, £2000 for 2,400 grafts, hotel accomodation, and being picked up from airport etc, i just had to pay £250 for flights ontop...

I bumped into 5 other guys who have had transplants in Turkey at the airport, it seems that it is a popular destination to have it done... if worst comes to worst, I've wasted £2000... i can live with that, at least i've tried...
  • 01-26-2012 12:49 PM
    sausage
    Fair enough.

I went to Turkey 2 years ago on holiday. Some Turkish guy that I bumped into who was promoting a bar (ie one of those annoying ppl that try to get you into their pub/club.) Said to me 'hey you should get a transplant I got one years ago' I looked up and saw these whispy sparse hairs on his head, it didn't look good, I am guessing he got it done a long time ago when transplants were crap. He was like 'they (transplants) are a lot better today' I didn't say anything back I was embarrassed that a stranger had pointed my balding head out, especially in front of mates who take the piss enough as it is.

I have always had the feeling that Turkish men are very dodgy, they are always after the ladies especially girls on holiday, its all a little creepy to me and I don't trust them at all, they all have their shops selling fake cigarettes and fake designer clothes and if you step into their shop you get hassled, it is pretty impossible to leave, they literally grab hold of you, pick up something in their shop up and practically force it down your throat until you buy it. So trusting anyone Turkish especially a Turkish surgeon is not something I could do.

It seems you know the risk you were taking going there so I expect you had your doubts but the price was to good to ignore.
  • 01-26-2012 12:59 PM
    topcat
    Please explain to me why with so much information available at the tips of your fingers you seem to know very little. It’s almost as if you thought you were simply going for a haircut and if it didn't work out you would just wait until it grew out. How old are you and was it just the marketing that made you believe this was a very simple procedure and the details should be of know concern?
  • 01-27-2012 01:49 AM
    jimbob1966
    I'm 27, I wasn't looking to tell everyone about the details of the surgery, I was just was looking for some re-assurance from somebody that my procedure looked ok.

At the end of the day I have done my research, I was given post op instructions, but the more websites i visited the more i had conflicting reports about how gently/harshly you should wash your hair post op.

I don't think it's really fair to question me, sure your probably 10 x more informed than I am, but I did as much research as I thought necessary, I was just looking for a bit of support, oh well nevermind...
  • 01-27-2012 06:59 AM
    topcat
    Jimbob just judging from the pictures everything looks very normal. Personally I wouldn’t touch the area for the first 3-4 days. Pour warm water over the area after using a cup in the shower and just go on with your day. Gentle washing after that first week should be okay but check with your clinic. Try not to look in the mirror too much, get on with life and you will know in 12 months.

You should be sharing the details with the forums especially if you used the forums to make your own decision. Too many come and just take without sharing. Your experience helps others. Good luck in your outcome.
  • 01-27-2012 03:41 PM
    jimbob1966
    thanks will do
  • 01-28-2012 06:56 AM
    jimbob1966
    3 Attachment(s)
    ok guys, it's been 7 days since surgery, front is getting quite itchy now, I've put on some cream for 45 mins daily and then washed off with warm water by pouring it on my head, (although i used shower today) have gently washed with shampoo everyday, just patting the front lightly not rubbing, and drying by patting...

there have been a couple of times where a bit of wet scab has comeoff with the hair with it, i'm hoping the follicle remains, but you can't really tell.

Please find my pics below at 7 days, do you sugguest i keep doing what im doing or be a bit more aggressive or gentler.
  • 01-28-2012 07:00 AM
    Tracy C
    It looks fine. Don't be more aggressive. Continue to be as gentle as you can for at least a few more days, preferably another week. Don't scratch.
  • 01-28-2012 07:15 AM
    sausage
    Its not been long, looks ok. Be gentle with it and be patient until the scabs come off, will be interesting to see how things are in 2 weeks time.

Are you currently off work at the moment?
  • 01-28-2012 07:46 AM
    jimbob1966
    yes, due back on Monday
  • 01-28-2012 07:58 AM
    Tracy C
    Hi jimbob1966,

I just took another look at your photos. I want to say that 12 to 18 months from now, when your hair has grown back, it is going to look really good.

Are you taking anything to stabilize your hair and prevent future loss of the non-DHT resistant hair?
  • 01-28-2012 09:56 AM
    jimbob1966
    I hope so, I've been taking fincar 5mg for a couple of years, both of my brothers said they were much bolder at my age, and i don't seem to have lost anything on the crown either, which they said they already did at my age. It doesn't of appeared to got any worse the last year or so, so i'm hopefull that it's stabilised.

Once the scalp has healed, I plan to start doing rogaine aswell, so hopefully that might help fill in some of the donor area a bit with new growth.

Here is a picture of me last month, you can see that my hair loss wasn't obvious, it's just the way i styled my hair, but it was annoying having to style it in a way to try and hide my receding spots, hopefully I'll be able to gel it all back in the future :/
  • 01-28-2012 11:07 AM
    Tracy C
    Quote:

Once the scalp has healed, I plan to start doing rogaine aswell, so hopefully that might help fill in some of the donor area a bit with new growth.

I may not be understanding your expectation here. You do realize the donor area does not regenerate new hair follicles, right? The hair follicles that were removed to fill in your hair line will grow in their new locations. The tiny locations they came from will not grow hair any more, becuase the follicles are not there any more... You do know that Rogaine (or generic Minoxidil) does not create new hair follciles, right? You do know that Minoxidil only stimulates existing hair follicles to grow hair, right? From what I can see in your photos, you do not really need Minoxidil. Finasteride seems to doing a fine job for you. However, if you want to use Rogaine foam like once a day maybe, I don't see any harm in trying. Just don't expect it to create replacement hair follicles in your donor area. It can't do that. Nothing can do that yet. Low level laser therapy could probably thicken up and improve the quality of what hair you have though - as well as help your scalp heal.

You are a very nice looking guy. You looked really good before the hair transplant. You are going to look even better after. :)
  • 01-28-2012 12:37 PM
    jimbob1966
    i was thinking rogaine could help new growth in the areas next to where they have moved the follicles sort of thing
  • 01-28-2012 07:55 PM
    Tracy C
    It doesn't hurt to try. Take it slow in the beginning though. Use the foam for sure and start out once per day for a while then go from there.
  • 01-29-2012 05:55 AM
    morelocks
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    It doesn't hurt to try. Take it slow in the beginning though. Use the foam for sure and start out once per day for a while then go from there.

Guys as as far as I know there is a risk when u try. Firstly he may shed sh/t loads and secondly and a more important consideration is that once u start this u are supposed to continue it for a life time

I once used rogaine post op as advised by my doc and i had some amazing new growth. I was told by the doc it was all from the ht and I could stop using rogaine after 4 months. As soon as I did I lost loads of new hair and 9 months later I once again had to go for a ht.

I would have thought if propecia is doing the trick it's just best to leave it
  • 01-29-2012 09:26 AM
    Tracy C
    Quote:

Originally Posted by morelocks View Post
    Firstly he may shed sh/t loads...

Shedding is part of the process and needs to happen. Shedding is associated with every treatment for hair loss that actually works. With continued treatment, the shedding stops eventually and the hair grows back a little thicker with each cycle. This takes a long time. Time that is measured in months and years.

Quote:

...secondly and a more important consideration is that once u start this u are supposed to continue it for a life time.

Hereditary hair loss is a progressive condition that continues throughout a person’s life. Since the progression of hair loss continues for the rest of a person’s life, obviously any treatment he or she uses needs to continue for the rest of his or her life.

Quote:

I was told by the doc it was all from the ht and I could stop using rogaine after 4 months. As soon as I did I lost loads of new hair and 9 months later I once again had to go for a ht.

To try to lessen this perceived effect, start and stop the medication slowly. Ramp up to the full dose over time - and ramp down off the medication over time.

Quote:

I would have thought if propecia is doing the trick it's just best to leave it.

Propecia (or generic Finasteride) prevents further hair loss but it is not a growth stimulant. It doesn't "make" hair grow, it "allows" hair follicles that can still grow hair to grow hair. Rogaine (or generic Minoxidil) is a growth stimulant. It stimulates hair follicles that can still grow hair to grow hair.

I agree that Propecia seems to be working fine for Mr. jimbob1966. None of us know if he has any hair follicles that can be stimulated to start growing hair again. If he does, I doubt it is enough to make a difference based on what I can see in the photos he has shared with us. However, the only way to find out is to try.
  • 01-31-2012 12:05 PM
    jimbob1966
    2 Attachment(s)
    ok so it's day 10 post op, I think i've just made a huge mistake :(

my hair was wet, and i was fed up of getting strange looks at work, so i gently pulled some of the scabs off, they were half hanging off, so i pulled them off, hairs came with them, some with dried up blood on the end and some without. Now the majority of scabs are off on one side and my scalp looks pretty bare, and just pink.

Have the grafts come out? is it normal for hairs to fall out on day 10?

I've attached some pics.
  • 01-31-2012 12:30 PM
    sausage
    Yes as far as I am aware it is common for hairs to come out after 10 days, just try to cover it up best you can so you don't get strange looks, take tomorrow off work if you need to.

Give it 5 months and see whats happens then.
  • 01-31-2012 01:38 PM
    Tracy C
    Quote:

Have the grafts come out? is it normal for hairs to fall out on day 10?

If it has been at least ten days, the grafts should be in there permanently. It is O.K. to gently remove the scabs and some hair may come out with them. Try not to worry. I went through the same thing and it was O.K..
  • 02-02-2012 01:01 PM
    gillenator
    What everyone is referring to here are not scabs necessarily, they are crusts and need to be removed at this point in time post-op. The only exception to this would soneone who is healing much slower, and rare.

Crusts are indeed dead graft tissue above the surface of the scalp. They dry out from the air and yes some of them can also be part scabs from the recipient incisions.

If the crusts are removed too early, there can be some mild surface bleeding at the site(s). Generally speaking, after 72 hours post-op, for most patients, the grafts are seated and pretty secure.

At this point the crusts are of no value and can potentially irritate the scalp if not removed. Many HT docs will advise their patients to be a little more aggressive in removing these crusts once enough time post-op has passed.

The crusts that come off with the hair stubble indicates that the transplanted follicle went dormant and shed the hair stubble with the crust. If only the crust comes off without the hair stubble, that follicle no doubt remained in anagen (growth phase) and will continue to grow until it's time to rest arrives.

The best is yet to come, REGROWTH! Best wishes to you!;)
  • 02-04-2012 12:36 AM
    jimbob1966
    can't wait :)
  • 02-04-2012 08:34 AM
    Tracy C
    The waiting is the hardest part. :(
  • 02-07-2012 12:24 AM
    jimbob1966
    2 Attachment(s)
    Day 17 post op, It looks pretty silly at the moment, it looks asif I have 2 hairlines, the transplanted hair has started to thin out abit now, there is still a bit of redness in the scalp.

The donor area is thinner than i expected also.
  • 02-07-2012 12:40 AM
    jimbob1966
    3 Attachment(s)
    just above my ears i was a little thin anyway for some reason and with more follicles gone it looks worse, but i rarely have my hair this short normally so i hope I'll be able to style it to have better coverage when it's longer.

P.S - how can I remove a picture from this site?
  • 02-07-2012 10:14 AM
    Tracy C
    Hi jimbob1966,

It looks good. The transplanted hair will start shedding out soon. Don't worry. It will grow back.
  • 02-07-2012 11:56 AM
    sausage
    It does look a bit silly, Is that grade 3 or 4? maybe try cutting it to grade 1 or 2 and I expect it will blend in more.

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth