• 01-22-2009 05:00 PM
    baldingpittfan
    Question for Mr. Kobren and/or IAHRS Physicians regarding exercise and hair loss
    I'm 32 years with a receding hairline but no loss in the crown thus far. I think Propecia is helping to keep what I have. Here's my question:

I'm 5'10", about 220-230lbs and out of shape. I want to start exercising again but fear that the exercise will build testosterone and thus will accelerate my hairloss. Is this a well-founded fear? Will I lose hair faster by getting back into the gym? Thank you.
  • 01-22-2009 09:26 PM
    SpencerKobren
    Quote:

Originally Posted by baldingpittfan View Post
    I'm 32 years with a receding hairline but no loss in the crown thus far. I think Propecia is helping to keep what I have. Here's my question:

I'm 5'10", about 220-230lbs and out of shape. I want to start exercising again but fear that the exercise will build testosterone and thus will accelerate my hairloss. Is this a well-founded fear? Will I lose hair faster by getting back into the gym? Thank you.

Get your butt in the gym! Most experts agree that the minimal, and short lived rise in testosterone produced by anaerobic exercise has absolutely zero effect on hair loss.

Unless you plan on supplementing your training with anabolic steroids or testosterone booting nutritional supplements, I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Hope this helps.
  • 01-22-2009 09:46 PM
    TeeJay73
    Sweet! I've been hitting the gm quite rigorously for the past 6 months, but only twice a week. In 6 months I gained 8 lbs of muscle and lost 2% body fat (I'm a sweets addict). But, I haven't noticed any negative change in my hair status as a result of exercising.

Thanks, Spencer, for demystifying this notion!
  • 01-25-2009 03:35 PM
    baldingpittfan
    Yes, thank you! That idea was the main thing keeping me from getting back into shape.
  • 01-26-2009 10:58 PM
    SpencerKobren
    Quote:

Originally Posted by baldingpittfan View Post
    Yes, thank you! That idea was the main thing keeping me from getting back into shape.

No problem. Good luck with the workouts!
  • 01-27-2009 03:11 PM
    Janna
    Crap, that's the excuse I've been using. I'll have to come up with another one.
  • 01-28-2009 02:09 PM
    SpencerKobren
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Janna View Post
    Crap, that's the excuse I've been using. I'll have to come up with another one.

How about the fact that you work so hard helping hair loss sufferers, that you just can't find the time?:) Not that you need to work out;)

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth

» Recent Threads