• 05-12-2010 07:45 AM
    JOE-91
    Is the shape of my head a big deal? (PICTURES)
    Ok, so I asked this question before when i first became a member here and I got positive feedback, but it's still bothering me so I am posting up some new pictures to get another verdict. I know there are some brutally honest users on here which I didn't notice before so I believe this is an honest place to ask.

I think many of us experiencing male pattern baldness are concerned about the shape of our heads because we all know that the natural way out is to shave your head. I honestly love having a shaved head and a beard, although I prefer it at number 2 rather than shaving it to the skin so i would shave my head even without male pattern baldness. However, a number 2 with good coverage covers up the bad head shape, my future totally bald head does not and I fear that I may never ever get over this if it's that bad or I can't do something about the shape.
  • 05-12-2010 10:19 AM
    heynow1234
    dude you look pretty good dont worry about it
  • 05-12-2010 10:46 AM
    Delphi
    You’re a good looking guy without your hair. Enjoy it!
  • 05-12-2010 11:22 AM
    CIT_Girl
    I agree with the others- you're an attractive guy and you pull off that look really well. You definitely don't have a bad head shape and should rest assured that the completely shaven look is a great fall-back option for you!
  • 05-12-2010 11:22 AM
    KeepTheHair
    Your lucky. It looks fine. Extremely rare for this to happen.

Would look much better with hair, obviously.

But yeah, you don't have anything to worry about.
  • 05-12-2010 11:37 AM
    mattj
    I wouldn't expect the responses to be any different from last time.

The only people who will see anything wrong with your head shape are:

1. You.

2. Maybe the occasional unpleasant person who wants to get at you somehow, and chooses the most obvious thing 'wrong' with you to focus on.

I don't remember if you posted photos with your hair grown out, but you don't seem to have lost enough that it would look bad if you did let it grow longer, if that's what you want.
  • 05-12-2010 11:52 AM
    JOE-91
    I just think the bump looks a bit nasty side on, it's like a dual bump.

This is me with quite decent hair a bit of a shit hairstyle but there you go haha:

http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL359.../387061341.jpg

If I grow it out now, it's probably a bit worse than this:

http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL359.../387061343.jpg

I keep it at a number 2/3 usually these days and I am getting re growth from minox foam already after 2 months I swear. I have just shaved it clean off before I go away to Istanbul for 10 days, I don't think I will bic it then until I am really going bald.

In an ideal world I would have reacted well to propecia (for those who read my thread before, I suffer bad sexual sides from it) and also minox. I use minox at the moment with what i believe to be great success coming but I am suddenly getting headaches and weird circulation feelings particularly in the arms legs and at times heart so I'm wondering whether to stop that.
  • 05-12-2010 12:06 PM
    KeepTheHair
    Grow it out, buzz cut. It still looks way better than completely shaved if you ask me.

I get minox side effects too. I just apply less now. It gets worse when I am sick etc. So I apply less when sick. Maybe try applying a little before you go to bed. That is what I am going to do. But perhaps discontinuing is the best option.
  • 05-12-2010 12:14 PM
    JOE-91
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KeepTheHair View Post
    Your lucky. It looks fine. Extremely rare for this to happen.

Would look much better with hair, obviously.

But yeah, you don't have anything to worry about.

You changed your tone from this quick haha?
  • 05-12-2010 12:23 PM
    KeepTheHair
    lol

What I am saying is: It looks fine shaved. Your lucky you don't look UGLY as HELL like 99% of people do with their head shaved!

Just because you look "good"(no homo) with it shaved doesn't mean you can't look better with it grown out.
  • 05-12-2010 01:36 PM
    JOE-91
    Ok, I hear you. I feel that way too, hopefully not sounding arrogant there but it feels like the head shape has sort of pissed any chance of looking good away.

Thanks anyway guys, I just need to convince myself - maybe it's something that's going to come with time as I get used to the look of it. Thanks for the advice on the minoxidil as well keepthehair, i will try using it every two days before bed see how that works, I'm sure it's better than nothing. I'm tempted to try fin again one day if I maintain but definitely not yet. I would just like to hold off the loss so I keep my coverage with a shaved head for as long as possible.
  • 05-12-2010 06:10 PM
    Samson
    Dude you look better bald. That bump is nothing to worry about. It could be a lot worse. Some guys have a dome that looks like an old football helmet. Others have a flat occipital bone and perhaps the worst thing I've seen is rolls of neck fat.

Samson
  • 05-12-2010 06:28 PM
    whyyyyyyyyyyy
    Everyone that shaves their head doesn't have a perfectly round shape. If I saw you in public, I wouldn't go "OMG look at that shape it is obscene". I'd just think you were a regular person and not think much about it. You obviously just shaved it, but after a few hours in the sun it's not going to look bad at all. I wouldn't worry about it .

My 0.02.
  • 05-12-2010 06:59 PM
    clee984
    You have a very good head shape. Much better than most.
  • 05-12-2010 10:31 PM
    Locke
    I'm in the same boat as you.

I just buzzed my hair a few days ago (you can see it in the other threads) and it doesn't look that bad. But I DEFINITELY look better with hair. I feel the same when looking at your pics.

I just need to get used to having short hair and convince myself it looks good. Not only that but those around me need to get used to it too. My uncle commented today on having to get used to me with really short hair.

But overall your shaved head looks good! I have no problems with it at all.
  • 05-12-2010 10:37 PM
    KeepTheHair
    Yeah... I think a good looking guy looks even better with hair.

Not even only that.

It leaves a better impression on someone. A warmer, better impression.

Without hair it looks so cold...and uncomfortable. I just hate the feeling associated with shaving a head!

KEEP THE HAIR

:(

I hope
  • 05-17-2010 01:09 PM
    JOE-91
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    I'm in the same boat as you.

I just buzzed my hair a few days ago (you can see it in the other threads) and it doesn't look that bad. But I DEFINITELY look better with hair. I feel the same when looking at your pics.

I just need to get used to having short hair and convince myself it looks good. Not only that but those around me need to get used to it too. My uncle commented today on having to get used to me with really short hair.

But overall your shaved head looks good! I have no problems with it at all.

It's a sad thing man.

Anymore opinions?

I swear if I just put my finger over that bump at the back I look so much better, I wish there were some surgery I could just pay for to even it all out.
  • 05-24-2010 05:52 PM
    Mick
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
    Dude you look better bald. That bump is nothing to worry about. It could be a lot worse. Some guys have a dome that looks like an old football helmet. Others have a flat occipital bone and perhaps the worst thing I've seen is rolls of neck fat.

Samson

I agree! I actually think you look more handsome with the shaved head! Seriously you look great! Think about how lucky you are, I had to get major surgery to my face (long story) and now I got this hair thing going on!

Don't forget to count your blessings, I know sometimes its hard. You look great man!
  • 05-25-2010 07:32 PM
    wishfulthinking
    Hey man, no worries! It looks great! You pull off the shaved head look quite well!
  • 05-26-2010 04:31 PM
    JOE-91
    I am trying to count my blessings and I have actually given up the hairloss battle fully, I quite finasteride 2 months ago and I'm still having some real problems. I had what felt like a total crash 4 days ago, just as I thought all sides wore off. It feels so bizzarre, fingers crossed it's just my hormones playing up for a while.

Thanks for the nice comments, maybe it is mainly me who thinks it. I have a bit of a wonky head straight on as well, but there ya go.
  • 06-01-2010 06:18 PM
    JOE-91
    Coming to terms with hairloss in general now, I know this isn't the right forum but Finasteride is really sending me on a rollercoaster health wise and it's not all in my head. It's really put it all into perspective.
  • 06-01-2010 06:50 PM
    Locke
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JOE-91 View Post
    Coming to terms with hairloss in general now, I know this isn't the right forum but Finasteride is really sending me on a rollercoaster health wise and it's not all in my head. It's really put it all into perspective.

What other side effects are you experiencing?
  • 06-02-2010 09:12 PM
    Mane Man
    You look more mature (in a good way) with the shaved head. Your head shape is fine brother! I think you pull the look off better than that singer Daughtry and he has tons of women lining up for him- if you sing and play the guitar you are golden!
  • 06-03-2010 02:13 AM
    Buckerine11
    I would pay 6 figures for a head shape like yours. No joking. I've got a back of the head like a frickin snowboard.
  • 06-06-2010 07:16 PM
    JOE-91
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    What other side effects are you experiencing?

I would rather not go into it in this particular thread, thing's aren't THAT bad, but there not right. I am approaching it best I can, having the relevant tests done while trying to relax as much as possible.
  • 06-06-2010 07:18 PM
    JOE-91
    Again, thank you for the positive comments guys it's a genuine confidence boost.
  • 06-07-2010 03:21 AM
    Jewil
    I think you look better with the shaved head :) Without a doubt.
  • 07-03-2010 12:51 PM
    JOE-91
    Quote:

I would rather not go into it in this particular thread, thing's aren't THAT bad, but there not right. I am approaching it best I can, having the relevant tests done while trying to relax as much as possible.

Just to update on this, my health is progressively getting worse and worse since coming off finasteride. Sexual symptoms are tolerable at the moment but non sexual symptoms are starting to become much worse, I'm working with my local GP to have relevant blood tests and be referred to an endocrinologist, it's not very nice at all. I had a listen to the audio stream of Spencer and Dr Reed and I thought it was good, but what I didn't like was how the only problem really talked about was 'not being able to get it up' and Spencer only talked about 'worry in the bedroom'. I thought my problems were just that to begin with, but that is lower on the list now and many of the guys on propeciahelp have a huge list of problems that are stopping them from living a happy life.

Thanks for the positive comments on the shaved head, my battle with balding is definitely over but I have a new one at the moment with my health. I shouldn't of gave finasteride a second chance and taken the warning signs more seriously, I am paying for my mistake.
  • 07-20-2010 09:58 AM
    Pirlo
    Finasteride just is not worth it. There is so much not understood about it. I took it for less than two weeks and i was getting alot of pain in my testicles. 3 weeks later, I started again ( a TERRIBLE mistake) its back on me again. Do more research into this drug if you are considering taking it. There are some terrifying stories out there. Although, I feel fine now, a little pain, I am worried about what might happen. I hope you do ok, Joe, I have read your threads for a while now here and there, and was shocked to see you on proprecia help. Hope you are ok, man.
  • 07-20-2010 11:45 AM
    KeepTheHair
    Which warning signs Joe?

Can you please explain in more detail what you are currentely experiencing also? Please!
  • 07-23-2010 02:30 PM
    JOE-91
    Pirlo, I have indeed posted across many of the hair loss boards, before all the troubles with propecia started. To begin with I thought about it and thought I am probably just becoming a hypochondriac about everything and I have worried myself sick with everything to do with hair/ side effects etc etc. But after weeks/ and one whole month of living life normally (trying not to think about propecia or my body), things are not changing with my health and there are visibly symptoms.

Keepthehair, I don't think this is the forum to list my side effects because it would probably be classed as scare mungering but they have gotten very bad indeed. It is incredibly sad.
  • 07-23-2010 02:35 PM
    JOE-91
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KeepTheHair View Post
    Which warning signs Joe?

Can you please explain in more detail what you are currentely experiencing also? Please!

My warning signs turned out to be things that most users on the hair loss boards pass off as normal and 'ride out':

- Absence of morning erections
    - Lowered libido
    - Watery semen and testicular pain
    - Small rash on head (now gone finally, thank god)

Looking back I remember having a few nights where I went back on the drug after quitting once and having a very disturbed sleep, muscle twitches, dizziness and abdominal pain and constant urination. This now occurs fairly often unfortunately - I never paid any attention to those days/ nights when I was on the drug as it was only a few.
  • 12-10-2010 09:33 PM
    JOE-91
    9 months off finasteride and I am beginning to sleep normally again, and function with my girlfriend, friends and family properly - thank god. Unfortunately, sexual side effects have only worsened. Even the physical appearance in that area has been affected. It truly is terrible. I urge anyone that is young and able to face shaving there head to avoid finasteride like the plague - I still have a quality of life (very good social life, studying for a degree at a good university) but purely because of what this drug has done to my body, even with a partial recovery, I still consider suicide often.

For those that have followed my posts on this forum you will see that I always shaved my head, I just wanted to try finasteride and it took just 5 months to ruin my life. I can still remember when Spencer Kobren told me that 'no morning erections' isn't an issue. I'm not an internet weirdo; I'm a fairly handsome, very outgoing, I have always enjoyed a healthy sex life since 15 (now 19) and people would never guess I have issues like this. There are many like me that propecia has affected too.

This is likely to be my last post here, I came on just because I am revisiting the sites that got me into this whole 'hairloss' conundrum. Vanity is where it started, and it has ruined my life.
  • 12-10-2010 11:58 PM
    Locke
    Quote:

9 months off finasteride and I am beginning to sleep normally again, and function with my girlfriend, friends and family properly - thank god. Unfortunately, sexual side effects have only worsened. Even the physical appearance in that area has been affected. It truly is terrible. I urge anyone that is young and able to face shaving there head to avoid finasteride like the plague - I still have a quality of life (very good social life, studying for a degree at a good university) but purely because of what this drug has done to my body, even with a partial recovery, I still consider suicide often.

For those that have followed my posts on this forum you will see that I always shaved my head, I just wanted to try finasteride and it took just 5 months to ruin my life. I can still remember when Spencer Kobren told me that 'no morning erections' isn't an issue. I'm not an internet weirdo; I'm a fairly handsome, very outgoing, I have always enjoyed a healthy sex life since 15 (now 19) and people would never guess I have issues like this. There are many like me that propecia has affected too.

This is likely to be my last post here, I came on just because I am revisiting the sites that got me into this whole 'hairloss' conundrum. Vanity is where it started, and it has ruined my life.

Hey Joe,

Could you please let us know in more detail what you're going through? We're all in the same boat here with hair loss and we'd like to support you through these times as best as we can.

Are you feeling that the sexual side effects are negatively impacting your relationship with your gf? Maybe send me a message if you don't want to post too much detail on here.

I hope your health returns to a state you're happy with.
  • 12-11-2010 12:12 AM
    Mane Man
    Joe-I hope you only had passing thoughts of suicide but would never act upon it. You are 19 for god's sake. I know the fears of propecia sides from personal experience, and I know it can get scary. Just stay off of it for a while and just get used to having a shaved head. I swear we are our own worst critics. Just love yourself and be happy you are otherwise healthy. The sides will pass. Give it some time. I believe a lot of it is mental. Stop stressing and concentrate on what you can influence- work out, get your degree, go out and have fun! Life is too damn short and suicide is a slap in the face to all of those people who would give anything to be in your shoes- a healthy young man with a bright future. One of my favorite lines in Swingers is "You are so money and you don't even know it!". Trust me. You have plenty of ability to conquer the world. Hair is not a requirement. I hope to hear back from you and that you are done worrying about all this and are celebrating life. Good luck brother.
  • 12-11-2010 11:31 AM
    JOE-91
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mane Man View Post
    Joe-I hope you only had passing thoughts of suicide but would never act upon it. You are 19 for god's sake. I know the fears of propecia sides from personal experience, and I know it can get scary. Just stay off of it for a while and just get used to having a shaved head. I swear we are our own worst critics. Just love yourself and be happy you are otherwise healthy. The sides will pass. Give it some time. I believe a lot of it is mental. Stop stressing and concentrate on what you can influence- work out, get your degree, go out and have fun! Life is too damn short and suicide is a slap in the face to all of those people who would give anything to be in your shoes- a healthy young man with a bright future. One of my favorite lines in Swingers is "You are so money and you don't even know it!". Trust me. You have plenty of ability to conquer the world. Hair is not a requirement. I hope to hear back from you and that you are done worrying about all this and are celebrating life. Good luck brother.

Just to make it clear - I do NOT care about my hair anymore. It's funny because as I have came to university in London where there are so many young, attractive and very happy teenagers which could make a young balding male feel bad, I have actually now became totally confident in my appearance again since I started to notice my balding 2 years ago. I attract plenty of girls and anyone that meets me generally mentions that I look good with a shaved head. Of course, I would love to have hair but I really don't care about being bald anymore - I think I have gone through the process of many young bald men whereby it just take some time to get used to it and then they don't ever think about it.

My overall health is still fine I would say - I can still go out for a run and feel fast and youthful, day to day activities are absolutely fine and as I mentioned now I am 9 months off the drug, the OLD me is coming back and I am feeling confident and ambitious a lot of the time. I have had brief periods where sexually I have felt normal. But trust me this is not all in my head, it's not performance problems or sexual confidence I am talking about - it is the loss of morning erections, the loss of sex drive, penile shrinkage, and worsening psoriasis (which I do not directly blame finasteride for, but I know that poor hormonal functioning can make it worse, in particular thyroid).

Thank you for your concerns, I am hoping that naturally I can get better, even though there are many members on propeciahelp that have waited years. I have no idea what this drug does - partial androgen sensitivity, neurotransmitter damage, or just plain and simple messing up your hormones but it's no joke and it is very hard to seek help.
  • 12-11-2010 09:30 PM
    Winston
    The mind is an extremely powerful thing when it comes to sex. The fact that you say that you feel sexually normal at times says to me that your sexual issues are most likely all in your head. Unfortunately when it comes to sex, our arousal or lack there of stems from our minds. If the slightest bit of performance doubt enters our heads we will have sexual difficulties. Even if you believe you are not having performance doubts your subconscious mind is most likely taking over. You should have your girlfriend video tape you when you’re sleeping to see if at any time during the night you have an erection. I bet 10 to 1 that you will.
  • 12-13-2010 10:06 AM
    JOE-91
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Winston View Post
    The mind is an extremely powerful thing when it comes to sex. The fact that you say that you feel sexually normal at times says to me that your sexual issues are most likely all in your head. Unfortunately when it comes to sex, our arousal or lack there of stems from our minds. If the slightest bit of performance doubt enters our heads we will have sexual difficulties. Even if you believe you are not having performance doubts your subconscious mind is most likely taking over. You should have your girlfriend video tape you when you’re sleeping to see if at any time during the night you have an erection. I bet 10 to 1 that you will.

No, I clearly said that there HAVE been times where I have felt recovered but there have not been many of such occasions. This has nothing to do with performance, or how I perform in 'the sack'. Loss of morning erections, flaccid penile shrinkage and numbness are all PHYSICAL side effects. If it were problems maintaining erection alone, of course I would have to consider that mentally there is something wrong.

It's no surprise to me that the serious side effects of finasteride have been written off on this forum..

On a more positive note, as I previously mentioned; my sleep is improving, I am having vivid dreams, and I can work properly again and feel very happy so who knows what the next year may hold..
  • 12-24-2010 08:20 PM
    JOE-91
    The BBC!!! have done a report on permanent finasteride side effects..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/12040303
  • 12-26-2010 03:06 PM
    Mane Man
    Not a whole lot of substance in that article. I already made the personal decision not to take propecia (after feeling some undesired sides after a month) since I'd rather be bald and functioning normal than keep all my hair and have possible issues. I'd like to see some more studies that prove or disprove the link of propecia to sexual side effects. Either way, I'm done experimenting on myself. I have no issue with people going forward with propecia for themselves. Their call.

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth