Follica

Printable View

• 09-05-2013 01:02 PM
    nickk
    Follica
    http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/09...n_3874644.html

Researchers say they are very close to unleashing a product that could finally draw the curtain on the dreaded comb-over.

Follica, a U.S.-based firm, claims their proprietary procedure consistently creates new hair follicles in both mice and men, The Scientist reports.

"This discovery sheds light on a novel mechanism to regenerate hair follicles and opens an exciting new avenue to develop treatments for hair loss in humans," The company's Dr. William Ju said in a press release. "Follica has developed a technology platform that is uniquely suited to support clinical translation of these new findings."

It focuses on a slightly strange-sounding process called 'skin-perturbation', in which the top layers of skin on the scalp are peeled back. The cells beneath them apparently revert to a stem-like state. Finally, a topical solution is applied that essentially re-programs those cells to be hair-producers.

Hair? Is that really you, after all these years?

And for Follica, the promise of propping up the male ego and all the societal benefits hair confers, could spell the biggest roll-up-the-rim win of all time. Especially, with the pickings so slim at the moment.

Non-invasive hair-regrowth options basically come down to minoxidil, marketed as Rogaine, and finasteride , which you may know as Propecia. The former is a vasodilator, which purports to prevent follicles from shrinking and choking off hair. Propecia aims to stop testosterone from being converted, and thus weaponized as DHT, which starves hair of vital nutrients.

You've also got the oft-ridiculed toupee option and surgeries which graft hair from other parts of your body.

That's where Follica, having licensed research from the University of Pennsylvania's Perelman School of Medicine, is looking to ride to the rescue.

Tricking, or re-programming, cells for different purposes is hardly new. Scientists have successfully coaxed the body's most flexible cell into producing muscle to mend damaged hearts and even bone.

While researchers at Follica have remained somewhat coy on exactly how the process works, The Scientist reports the procedure has already sailed through both preclinical and clinical trials.
  • 09-05-2013 01:10 PM
    KJ1982
    Thanks for the link, nickk. :)

Personally, Follica are behind one of the more interesting potential treatments and I'm always glad to hear more from, or about, them.
  • 09-05-2013 01:13 PM
    Artista
    Nickk, thanks for putting this thread on here!
    Ive never thought negatively about Follica nor have I ever thought they were over with.
    Exactly why was this reported today on the Huffington Post?
    Could it be a build up for an eventual release date? At any rate it is
    interesting!
    simba
    Nice link, thanks.

When are follica releasing their next update?
    Scientalk56
    Finally No "could be on sale within five years" promise, Now i can say i believe this article.

It's a breakthrough for every writer - not saying this 5-years bullshit
  • 09-05-2013 01:17 PM
    Artista
    Follica has been purposely keeping their 'cards close to their chest' for a long time.
    Something had initiated this Huff' report, and yes, as Scientalk56 has pointed out..NO mention of a '5 year' release possibility.

"(Follica)Researchers say they are very close to unleashing a product that could finally draw the curtain on the dreaded comb-over".
  • 09-05-2013 01:31 PM
    DesperateOne
    This is good news, I personally think that follica is keeping such lips is because they know that their method can be reproduced easily. The science behind it make it relatively easy to reproduce anywhere once we know the secret formula. We might be able to find it before they put it on the market.
  • 09-05-2013 01:46 PM
    clandestine
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DesperateOne View Post
    This is good news, I personally think that follica is keeping such lips is because they know that their method can be reproduced easily. The science behind it make it relatively easy to reproduce anywhere once we know the secret formula. We might be able to find it before they put it on the market.

Mhm you might be on to something there DesperateOne.
  • 09-05-2013 01:51 PM
    hellouser
    I think they're releasing this news because they know we're onto their studies from the dermarolling thread.

I'm still sticking to my theory that dermabrasion + injections of FGF-9 will give similar results. Follica and Cotsarelis must be shaking in their boots!
  • 09-05-2013 02:02 PM
    Westonci
    so is this breaking news or just an update?

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth

» Recent Threads

1800 graft repair case results by Dr. Lindsey
Yesterday 08:38 AM
Last Post By Dr. Lindsey
Yesterday 08:38 AM
Navigating the German Job Market as a Kenyan Citizen
11-04-2023 06:31 AM
Last Post By Keegan212
Yesterday 03:51 AM