• 08-13-2013 08:11 AM
    Rav Chase
    2200 grafts FUT Dr. Pistone 8/8/13
    Had my first hair transplant 5 days ago with Dr. Pistone.

Won't bore you by re-typing all the details, but I've been losing my hair (first receding, then full-on MPB) since about 24, Rogaine-assisted since 26, and Toppik-concealed since 30 (I am now 33).

After alot of research (actually had my first consultation 3 years ago, which led me to use Toppik in the interim), had my surgery on Thursday 8/8.

Feel free to check out my website. Appreciate any feedback/suggestions.

Thanks!
  • 08-13-2013 08:23 AM
    Rav Chase
    7 Attachment(s)
    Pics
    I guess you're not allowed to post links to other websites on here, so I guess I'll post an (abbreviated) version in this message thread. Anyway, below are my pics pre-transplant (dating back to when I had a full head of hair).

First pic is college - 2002 (no hair loss)

2nd is 2006 (right about the time I started Rogaine)

Next is 2007 (a year into Rogaine)

Then just a less than 2 months ago - this is what I look like in public, with Toppik-assistance. The sides are much longer, as I had started growing them out for the HT.

Lastly, a couple pics taken a few days before my surgery (no Toppik) - front, top, & Back
  • 08-13-2013 08:27 AM
    Rav Chase
    Day of Transplant
    I got to Dr. Pistone's office at 8:30 in the morning. Two of his techs greeted me and got me in a hospital gown, took my blood pressure, monitored my heart rate, etc. These weren't the "junior" techs I had heard about in some points. They had been performing hair transplants for 12 & 15 years, respectively. One of them had been with Dr. Pistone the entire time (even though he's moved offices).

Dr. Pistone arrived shortly thereafter. I talked with him about what I was looking for and showed him some pics from college to show what my hairline had looked like when I had a full head of hair. He drew a line of a proposed hairline that was similar to those pics. I thought it was a little too low - and didn't want to use up the majority of my donor hair on the new hairline (or risk moving it so far up that it wouldn't be sustainable as my hair thins later on); so, he moved it up a 1/2 inch. He said at that point, it was just about where a "normal" hairline should be (by the rule of thirds). I also discussed that I wanted to eliminate receding temples; while I wanted a slightly rounded hairline (not straight across like when I was a kid), did not want a look that would basically achieve the same exact look I get now (with Toppik) only a little further forward.

He then drew some lines as to where he hoped to get to given my donor hair. He had a line about to where my head starts to slope and the crown begins. He said if he's able to fill in to that point - with good density - he'd be happy. If he gets any more than that, he'd be ecstatic. He said we'd focus on establishing the hairline (with single-hair grafts) and work back to just in front of the crown - with the greatest density not far behind the hairline (basically, where my current hairline begins now).

He administered valium intravenously. He said I should feel a bit high, but I didn't notice anything. He then adminstered a number of nerve blockers in my forehead (by far the most painful part of the procedure, and not terribly painful). Then lastly he gave me a muscle relaxant. The Bourne Identity was on but I can't tell you much about the movie, so either the Valium really worked or I was too distracted. During that time, Dr. Pistone shaved the donor area, removed the strip, and stapled the area shut, with four techs cutting the grafts. While the techs were cutting the grafts, Dr. Pistone placed the lateral slits on my recipient area.

The grafts were ready by about 11 AM. The next few hours were spent by the techs placing the grafts. This was the most difficult (aka boring) part - having to sit still while they worked. Kill Bill was on and I can remember the entire movie, so the Valium must have worn off. They were all business throughout the process (none of the "chatting about other things and barely paying attention" I've heard about in other posts). Periodically they sprayed my head with what I assume was water and/or peroxide. They finished at around 2:30. I asked to see the result. The transplant was "gross" to look at it but they appeared to get good coverage and I liked the new outline of my hairline. She said it went "beautifully." The stapled area was not visible beneath my hair, which was only slightly over an inch, and hadn't even been combed in a way to cover the staples.

The tech placed a compression bandage around the donor area, a thin hospital cap with a mesh top over my head, and then a tight black skullcap which they instructed me to leave on for 48 hours. Then Dr. Pistone (who had been watching and was in and out during graft placement) came back in. He told me they got 2200 grafts, which was just about what he thought he'd get, and they got to the spot before the crown that he had anticipated. He said he expects my hair to turn out nicely.

They prescribed Vicodin, Prednisone (5 days worth, to prevent/reduce swelling), and Valium (for before bed). They told me to take the Vicodin when I get home to "get ahead of the pain." They said the donor area would be the most painful, and that the recipient area might feel like a sunburn. Sure enough, what amounted to a headache seeped in while I was still driving. Took the Vicodin when I got in. Definitely felt some pain where the staples are, but overall not bad. Tried to take a nap in the recliner while watching TV, but it was very uncomfortable leaning the back of my head against the chair.
  • 08-13-2013 08:38 AM
    Rav Chase
    2 Attachment(s)
    Post Op Days 1-4
    Day 1 - The first night I took a Valium at 9 PM and tried to watch an hour-long show in a recliner. Realized within a 1/2 hour that I wasn't going to be able to keep my eyes open the entire time. Switched to SportsCenter and feel asleep. Next thing I knew it was 3 hours later. Went up to bed, where I propped up my on three pillows in a way where my suture line wouldn't touch any of them. Woke up at 4:30 AM and was pretty restless. Took 1/2 Vicodin, watched some TV, and fell back to sleep by around 6, for another 3 hours.

Felt pretty good most of the day. Actually had a work-at-home day scheduled for the AM, and I was fairly productive. Took 1/2 Vicodin at 10, 2, and 7, then a Valium just now before bed. The cap was still on my head - the donor area tends to be a in a bit of pain, but the recipient area is itchy at most. I actually enjoyed having the cap covering my head so it keeps me from thinking about it or agonizing about what it looks like. Had a pretty normal appetite...since I was laid up for a few days (and not going to work for another week), I decided to go on a modified Atkins diet. I figure if I have to avoid working out I need to compensate with a protein-rich, low-carb diet.

That night was about the same - fell asleep in the chair watching SportsCenter, and woke up 3 hours later, went to bed, elevated, and out cold another 5 hours.

Day 2 - That afternoon, 48 hours after the surgery, I finally took off my cap, and was happy about how much better it looked than it did 2 days prior. I almost said "pleasantly surprised" but I knew it would be much better.

First, I saturated the skullcap and medical cap with a 1/2 water, 1/2 peroxide solution for 10 minutes before removing. After removing the medical cap, all that was left was the gauze taped at the forehead and blocking the suture line. There was some dried blood on the left side; I knew this was there because it had penetrated through the skullcap 2 days earlier. The gauze was full of dried blood...which I assume is normal.

After removing the bandages, I sprayed the water/peroxide mix over my head, waited another ten minutes, then took a shower, pouring warm water gently over my head several times, then doing the same with the (plain old Prell) shampoo, mixed with soapy water. Then eventually pouring more warm water to wash out the soap. Patted the back and sides dry. The staple line was not even visible, and with the hair being wet. I didn't run a comb through it...I figured why risk it until I need to go out of the house in a couple days. My entire head felt tight (donor & recipient), much tighter than when I had the bandages on, but there was no pain at all. Gazing upon my HT for the first time, I like the hairline he drew. If the grafts come in the way it looked that day, I'll be pleased. First 2 pics below are the top of my head and donor area 2 days after HT.

Sleep routine last was the same as the past two nights, thought it would be weird with my bare head touching the pillow (covered with a towel, although that probably wasn't necessary), but it wasn't that different.

Day 3 - Did the same hair washing routine that day. Did apply shampoo to the back & sides directly, and patted them dry. Ran a comb through the back and sides as well. Hadn't touched the top at all, except for pouring water & shampoo on it. Haven't had any issues with grafts falling out, bleeding, or anything like that.

The weirdest thing was how tight my crown feels. Like when I touch it, it's numb, and in general, it feels like I'm wearing a tight hat. Probably from being pulled by the donor line. Wondering how long it takes that to stop/lessen. Pics didn't really show much of a difference from prior day.

Day 4 - Went out with a hat on. Getting out of the house - as well as shaving my 4-day old beard - really made me feel better than the last 3 days routine of sitting around watching TV. Noticed a scab on my shoulder today - hopefully lots more to fall off in the coming days! No grafts have fallen out.

Put the Vicodin away for now...took some Tylenol in AM. Pain around the stapled area, but nothing major. Also started using baby shampoo because I saw it recommended on some sites. Last day of prednisone and no swelling whatsoever so far. Grafts seemed a little less red today, although it might be my imagination. Glad I didn't stupidly try to return to work four days after like I had originally planned. Will post pics for Day 5.
  • 08-13-2013 11:28 AM
    Rav Chase
    5 Attachment(s)
    Day 5
    Not much news today, but I got some pictures of the staples with my hair combed out of the way. Top pretty much looks the same. No real pain. Cut back to 1/2 Valium before bed, and probably wound up getting 9-10 hours sleep.

Not much change...blew dry my hair on cool setting today. The native hair on top seems pretty much matted there though. Can't wait to take "real" showers in a few days and at least comb it.

Also got some picks of the donor area with my hair combed out of the way
    The left side is a little more irritated than the rest of the line. As you can see, there's some redness there...can't see anything once the hair is combed neatly into place.
  • 08-14-2013 09:32 PM
    Rav Chase
    1 Attachment(s)
    Day 6
    Last night & today were pretty normal. Aside from trying to sleep with my staple line touching the pillow, I probably wouldn't have even noticed anything. I was having trouble sleeping due to discomfort around 6 AM, took a Tylenol (only one I took all day), watched TV for an hour, then was out cold for four hours. Can't wait to start sleeping on my side again (don't want to do that now for risk of disturbing grafts).

Was out pretty much all day today. Have a side sales job and I'm able to wear a hat while I'm working. Went to dinner with my parents and nobody said anything about my wearing a hat because I was at the shore. If this was my only job and I had no social life I think I'd get through the next few weeks no problem). The scabs are still there, but I feel like they're gonna go any day now. Starting spraying with saline twice daily last night. Am rubbing aloe vera gel along the donor area as well. Other than that, nothing new to report.

Putting the Valium away for good tonight. I generally take allergy pills that have drowsy side effects that I've cut out since the week before the surgery, so I'm picking them back up tonight.
  • 08-15-2013 07:32 PM
    Rav Chase
    1 Attachment(s)
    Day 7
    Not much new today. For the first time I gently touched the recipient area when I was shampooing, massaging the scabs. A few actually came off during the day, but they're still significant. Ran a comb through my comb for the first time...for some reason, my hair being matted on top of my head for the last week gave me the impression that everything I had was gone, but once I combed it, I realized that shock loss hadn't quite decimated me yet.

Felt no need for any Tylenol today. I was out working all day (with a hat) and didn't even notice anything. Will probably pop one before bed just for comfort.
  • 08-16-2013 06:42 PM
    Rav Chase
    5 Attachment(s)
    Day 8 - Staples out!
    Today was a big day because my staples came out! Shampooed normally (with a cup) then went to doctor's office. Got staples removed, took about 5-10 minutes. It was slightly painful but not terrible. He said that I had healed nicely.

He said I could start showering normally, letting the water pressure hit directly from now on. Also said I could start using Rogaine again and if I want to use Toppik, that's fine, since it's natural keratin hair fibers, it can't harm anything.

Immediately after, went to get a haircut. Got it washed normally and trimmed on the back and sides just long enough to hide the scar (still a bit long for my taste, but it's the 1st day). At this point, you can not only see the thin scar line but also the staple pricks on both sides, so it is definitely redder than it will be once those crusts wash off. Will have pics of the donor area tomorrow after my hair is wet. There's only one spot on the left side of my head where you can see any redness; my hair wasn't combed into place in that pic.

Asked him about Kelo-cote; he didn't have a strong opinion either way. Said it can't hurt.

Since this afternoon, just brushing my hand across the top of my head, the scabs have been falling off like crazy! Have a party tomorrow, and could probably go looking "normal" if I put on Toppik, but I will likely wear a hat, since I don't want to go hatless then have a headful of scabs by the end of the night.

Pics below are a few hours old when my hair was wet. Drier now and the scabs are alot less.
  • 08-18-2013 05:19 AM
    Rav Chase
    5 Attachment(s)
    Day 9
    My first day post-staples coming out! Scabs are much less. Went to a birthday party, but wore a hat and it never came up hat I was wearing it. Below are some pics...including what I look like with Toppik.
  • 08-22-2013 07:02 PM
    Rav Chase
    2 Attachment(s)
    Days 10-14
    So the last 5 days have been uneventful. The scabs all pretty much came off between days 7-10, just like the doctor said they would. Some of the transplanted hairs came off with them, some stayed. So right now I have alot of tiny hairs growing under my natural hair. I guess I'm kinda getting a sneak peak at what I'll look like 3-4 months down the road after the transplanted hair sheds and regrowth starts.

Went to work on Day 11. This was perfect timing. With Toppik was able to look fairly normal. First pic is what I looked like on my first day back at work. Originally tried combing my hair straight forward, but I eventually decided that it looked better if I lightly fill in the receding temples with Toppik so the transplanted hairs blend in. You can still see them a bit at the hairline, but it's not obvious unless you're really trying.

Second pic is my uncovered head on Day 12. The small transplanted hairs give the front of my head the false look of more fullness than I had before. Can't wait till 6+ months out to see how it all comes in!

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth

» Recent Threads

1800 graft repair case results by Dr. Lindsey
Yesterday 08:38 AM
Last Post By Dr. Lindsey
Yesterday 08:38 AM
Navigating the German Job Market as a Kenyan Citizen
11-04-2023 06:31 AM
Last Post By Keegan212
Yesterday 03:51 AM