Follica

Printable View

• 09-05-2013 01:02 PM
    nickk
    Follica
    http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/09...n_3874644.html

Researchers say they are very close to unleashing a product that could finally draw the curtain on the dreaded comb-over.

Follica, a U.S.-based firm, claims their proprietary procedure consistently creates new hair follicles in both mice and men, The Scientist reports.

"This discovery sheds light on a novel mechanism to regenerate hair follicles and opens an exciting new avenue to develop treatments for hair loss in humans," The company's Dr. William Ju said in a press release. "Follica has developed a technology platform that is uniquely suited to support clinical translation of these new findings."

It focuses on a slightly strange-sounding process called 'skin-perturbation', in which the top layers of skin on the scalp are peeled back. The cells beneath them apparently revert to a stem-like state. Finally, a topical solution is applied that essentially re-programs those cells to be hair-producers.

Hair? Is that really you, after all these years?

And for Follica, the promise of propping up the male ego and all the societal benefits hair confers, could spell the biggest roll-up-the-rim win of all time. Especially, with the pickings so slim at the moment.

Non-invasive hair-regrowth options basically come down to minoxidil, marketed as Rogaine, and finasteride , which you may know as Propecia. The former is a vasodilator, which purports to prevent follicles from shrinking and choking off hair. Propecia aims to stop testosterone from being converted, and thus weaponized as DHT, which starves hair of vital nutrients.

You've also got the oft-ridiculed toupee option and surgeries which graft hair from other parts of your body.

That's where Follica, having licensed research from the University of Pennsylvania's Perelman School of Medicine, is looking to ride to the rescue.

Tricking, or re-programming, cells for different purposes is hardly new. Scientists have successfully coaxed the body's most flexible cell into producing muscle to mend damaged hearts and even bone.

While researchers at Follica have remained somewhat coy on exactly how the process works, The Scientist reports the procedure has already sailed through both preclinical and clinical trials.
  • 09-05-2013 01:10 PM
    KJ1982
    Thanks for the link, nickk. :)

Personally, Follica are behind one of the more interesting potential treatments and I'm always glad to hear more from, or about, them.
  • 09-05-2013 01:13 PM
    Artista
    Nickk, thanks for putting this thread on here!
    Ive never thought negatively about Follica nor have I ever thought they were over with.
    Exactly why was this reported today on the Huffington Post?
    Could it be a build up for an eventual release date? At any rate it is
    interesting!
    simba
    Nice link, thanks.

When are follica releasing their next update?
    Scientalk56
    Finally No "could be on sale within five years" promise, Now i can say i believe this article.

It's a breakthrough for every writer - not saying this 5-years bullshit
  • 09-05-2013 01:17 PM
    Artista
    Follica has been purposely keeping their 'cards close to their chest' for a long time.
    Something had initiated this Huff' report, and yes, as Scientalk56 has pointed out..NO mention of a '5 year' release possibility.

"(Follica)Researchers say they are very close to unleashing a product that could finally draw the curtain on the dreaded comb-over".
  • 09-05-2013 01:31 PM
    DesperateOne
    This is good news, I personally think that follica is keeping such lips is because they know that their method can be reproduced easily. The science behind it make it relatively easy to reproduce anywhere once we know the secret formula. We might be able to find it before they put it on the market.
  • 09-05-2013 01:46 PM
    clandestine
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DesperateOne View Post
    This is good news, I personally think that follica is keeping such lips is because they know that their method can be reproduced easily. The science behind it make it relatively easy to reproduce anywhere once we know the secret formula. We might be able to find it before they put it on the market.

Mhm you might be on to something there DesperateOne.
  • 09-05-2013 01:51 PM
    hellouser
    I think they're releasing this news because they know we're onto their studies from the dermarolling thread.

I'm still sticking to my theory that dermabrasion + injections of FGF-9 will give similar results. Follica and Cotsarelis must be shaking in their boots!
  • 09-05-2013 02:02 PM
    Westonci
    so is this breaking news or just an update?
  • 09-05-2013 02:39 PM
    brunobald
    Hard to know what to make of this. They don't say anything they haven't said before.
  • 09-05-2013 02:48 PM
    optimisticyouth
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hellouser View Post
    I think they're releasing this news because they know we're onto their studies from the dermarolling thread.

I'm still sticking to my theory that dermabrasion + injections of FGF-9 will give similar results. Follica and Cotsarelis must be shaking in their boots!

I don't care who we get it from so long as this generation gets to be cured! :)
  • 09-05-2013 02:52 PM
    joely
    I don't know whether to get excited about this or not, there has been a few times this year iv got exited thinking we are almost there and turns out we aren't, i get the impression this could be all we hear, in hoping they are close, any ideas once they do release something it will be available in the uk? Id like to hear more than vagrancies and from follica themselves such as how close is close and how wellitvwill work and if higher norwoods willbevable to benefit having found myself in the news paper a few times i know they don't always tell the complete truth! Don't want to put a downer on it could be amazing! But yet another game of wait and see if you ask this balding twenty something
  • 09-05-2013 03:06 PM
    hellouser
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brunobald View Post
    Hard to know what to make of this. They don't say anything they haven't said before.

They are in Phase II trials. It'll be a couple years at least before we see anything worth our time.
  • 09-05-2013 03:07 PM
    DesperateOne
    Quote:

Originally Posted by joely View Post
    I don't know whether to get excited about this or not, there has been a few times this year iv got exited thinking we are almost there and turns out we aren't, i get the impression this could be all we hear, in hoping they are close, any ideas once they do release something it will be available in the uk? Id like to hear more than vagrancies and from follica themselves such as how close is close and how wellitvwill work and if higher norwoods willbevable to benefit having found myself in the news paper a few times i know they don't always tell the complete truth! Don't want to put a downer on it could be amazing! But yet another game of wait and see if you ask this balding twenty something

Since its a USA based company I suspect it will be here before the UK, maybe about three more years it will go international if this does come out. I am also sick of press releases and articles giving no substance in relation to time, it seems all they want is the publicity. They really should be close because their since is really not as complex as others companies.
  • 09-05-2013 03:13 PM
    brunobald
    I would guess there should be a patent out now or soon describing the process. Should make interesting reading, especially if we can replicate.
  • 09-05-2013 03:14 PM
    Scoots
    "While researchers at Follica have remained somewhat coy on exactly how the process works, The Scientist reports the procedure has already sailed through both preclinical and clinical trials."

'Sailed through clinical trials'...is this possibly implying that the procedure they've tested has already gone through all phases? Or maybe just referring to Phase 1 and 2a as we previously knew?
  • 09-05-2013 03:18 PM
    hellouser
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    "While researchers at Follica have remained somewhat coy on exactly how the process works, The Scientist reports the procedure has already sailed through both preclinical and clinical trials."

'Sailed through clinical trials'...is this possibly implying that the procedure they've tested has already gone through all phases? Or maybe just referring to Phase 1 and 2a as we previously knew?

Preclinical would be the research, and clinical would the safety trials in Phase I. They are now in Phase II.
  • 09-05-2013 03:20 PM
    brunobald
    Quote:

Preclinical would be the research, and clinical would the safety trials in Phase I. They are now in Phase II.

If they are using a known safe substance for the topical after wounding do they need to complete a Phase III?
  • 09-05-2013 03:32 PM
    hellouser
    Quote:

If they are using a known safe substance for the topical after wounding do they need to complete a Phase III?

Hopefully not, but the snail paced cure gatekeeping businessmen, I mean the FDA, will have a final say as to how quickly they can allow Follica to release a treatment.
  • 09-05-2013 03:33 PM
    hellouser
    Here is Follica's pipeline:

http://www.puretechventures.com/pipeline.php

Its funded by PureTech Ventures, hence the not so obvious website.
  • 09-05-2013 03:47 PM
    joely
    Thanks hellouser, clears it up a fraction when i first read the post i was thinking it was all but ready to go
  • 09-05-2013 04:03 PM
    baldee
    If this is about Cotsarelis latest publication, its definitely not going to hit the market tomorrow. Basically they constructed a dermal epidermal composite containing neonatal foreskin keratinocytes and Human dermal papillae cells, transplanted it unto naked mice and after 8 weeks they noted hair follicle growth.
  • 09-05-2013 04:23 PM
    brunobald
    Quote:

Originally Posted by baldee View Post
    If this is about Cotsarelis latest publication, its definitely not going to hit the market tomorrow. Basically they constructed a dermal epidermal composite containing neonatal foreskin keratinocytes and Human dermal papillae cells, transplanted it unto naked mice and after 8 weeks they noted hair follicle growth.

No not as far as I can make out. This is a wounding method combined with a known substance that expresses a certain substance in newly healing skin. This promotes the formation of new hair. Follica appear to have IP on the wounding device only? Suggesting the biological process is quite simple.
  • 09-05-2013 04:46 PM
    baldee
    Quote:

No not as far as I can make out. This is a wounding method combined with a known substance that expresses a certain substance in newly healing skin. This promotes the formation of new hair. Follica appear to have IP on the wounding device only? Suggesting the biological process is quite simple.

I hope you are right. Try to get hold a copy of this:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?...mal+Composites
  • 09-05-2013 05:37 PM
    locke999
    This article is basically just repeating everything we already know and giving us a vague timeline, "soon."

It sounds like the writer just read a few hair loss article and regurgitated this rubbish because they had nothing to write.
  • 09-05-2013 05:41 PM
    Thinning87
    Quote:

Originally Posted by locke999 View Post
    This article is basically just repeating everything we already know and giving us a vague timeline, "soon."

It sounds like the writer just read a few hair loss article and regurgitated this rubbish because they had nothing to write.

That's what I'm trying to understand: has he spoken to someone at Follica more recently since June's publication, or is he just paraphrasing the June release to drive more traffic to the website?
  • 09-05-2013 09:25 PM
    deuce
    Man it would be sweet if like my brother or someone I knew worked for Follica. I would give you all the deets. Wishful thinking
  • 09-05-2013 09:34 PM
    baldybald
    Quote:

That is stupid !
  • 09-05-2013 09:59 PM
    Thinning87
    Quote:

Haha I'm not so sure, but hey whatever reason is a good reason to me.
  • 09-06-2013 05:16 AM
    brunobald
    Example 1
    Method of Treatment of Skin

A method according to the present invention for effecting treatment of the skin on a human scalp is performed as follows. A subject with near complete hair loss and mild dyspigmentation on the scalp is seated in a stationary examination chair.

Next, using a programmed protocol for treating physical features that are known to be present on the subject's scalp (the practitioners having assessed the subject's scalp, determined that germane features included “featureless” areas of skin, age spots, terminal hairs, and sweat glands, and provided such information to the computer in order to trigger the use of an appropriate protocol), the computer positions a fractional laser above the scalp, and the laser is activated for a prescribed time and at a prescribed power for removal of a column of tissue at the target area to a depth of about 1 mm, thereby forming a channel at the location of injury. Using a protocol that is appropriate for an area in which a channel has been formed, the computer positions an applicator at a location above the scalp that corresponds to the site of injury in the second further target area. The applicator includes an inkjet-type head for delivering a composition substantially directly into the channel. A small volume (about 50 μL) of a composition comprising 6-bromo-indirubin-3′-oxime (a GSK3β modulator) and carrier comprising PEO-PPO-PEO (a thermoreversible polymer that gels when exposed to human physiological temperatures) is delivered as a fluid to the location.

The computer then uses the preprogrammed protocol to select a new target area on the portion of the scalp that is precisely 4 mm “above” (i.e., at a 90° angle from) the first target area. The selection of the further target area is in accordance with a preset directive that instructs the computer to select further target areas from a rectilinear grid defined by points that are separated from one another by 4 mm.

Next, using the programmed protocol for treating a scalp having the characteristics described above, the computer positions an applicator that is configured for propelling particles at a location above the scalp that corresponds to the further target area, and the applicator is activated for a prescribed time to deliver lithium-containing particles at a prescribed velocity (calculated to penetrate the skin to a depth of 1 to 3 mm) at the location of the further target area. Using a protocol that is appropriate for an area that has been bombarded with lithium-containing particles, the computer positions a second applicator at a location above the scalp that corresponds to the further target area. The applicator includes a spray nozzle for delivering a composition to the body surface. A small volume (about 50 μL) of a composition comprising aminoxidil and an appropriate excipient is delivered as a fluid to the location.

The computer again uses the preprogrammed protocol to select a new target area (a “second further target area”) on the portion of the scalp that is precisely 4 mm “above” (i.e., at a 90° angle from) the further target area. In accordance with the preprogrammed protocol for treating a scalp having the characteristics described above, the computer again positions a fractional laser above the scalp, and the laser is activated for a prescribed time and at a prescribed power for removal of a column of tissue at the second further target area to a depth of about 1 mm, thereby forming a channel at the location of the second further target area. Using the protocol that is appropriate for an area in which a channel has been formed, the computer positions an applicator at a location above the scalp that corresponds to the site of injury in the second further target area. The applicator includes an inkjet-type head for delivering a composition substantially directly into the channel. A small volume (about 50 μL) of a composition comprising 6-bromo-indirubin-3′-oxime and carrier comprising acrylate-lactate-PEO-PPO-PEO-lactate-acrylate is delivered as a fluid to the location.

The computer again uses the preprogrammed protocol to select a new target area (a “third further target area”) on the portion of the scalp that is precisely 4 mm “above” (i.e., at a 90° angle from) the second further target area. Once again using the programmed protocol for treating a scalp having the characteristics described above, the computer positions the applicator that is configured for propelling particles at a location above the scalp that corresponds to the third further target area, and the applicator is activated for a prescribed time to deliver lithium-containing particles at a prescribed velocity (calculated to penetrate the skin to a depth of 1 to 3 mm) at the location of the further target area. Using a protocol that is appropriate for an area that has been bombarded with lithium-containing particles, the computer positions a second applicator at a location above the scalp that corresponds to the third further target area. The applicator includes a spray nozzle for delivering a composition to the body surface. A small volume (about 50 μL) of a composition comprising aminoxidil and an appropriate excipient is delivered as a fluid to the location.

The described process is performed iteratively to give rise to additional target areas, wherein the additional target areas form a rectilinear grid relative to the portion of scalp.

Taken from Follicas most recent patent

http://patentscope.wipo.int/search/e...PCTDescription
  • 09-06-2013 06:57 AM
    Thinning87
    There you go Hellouser do this at home :)
  • 09-06-2013 07:31 AM
    DesperateOne
    So what now, they just have us the cure? Time to find those chemicals?
    A small volume (about 50 μL) of a composition comprising 6-bromo-indirubin-3′-oxime and carrier comprising acrylate-lactate-PEO-PPO-PEO-lactate-acrylate is delivered as a fluid to the location.

A small volume (about 50 μL) of a composition comprising aminoxidil and an appropriate excipient is delivered as a fluid to the location.
  • 09-06-2013 08:02 AM
    TheSwingingGate
    This sounds...precise.

As I understand it, it is a computer guided system?
    That would answer my question of follicles being systematically placed, rather than a random 'strip the skin and pour solution on it' method that I had pictured.

Wonder what the solution will be to counter act DHT or any other triggers to the balding process? Please tell me no more Propecia!

So many questions.

Hope it works.

:)
  • 09-06-2013 08:10 AM
    hellouser
    Quote:

Example 1
    Method of Treatment of Skin

A method according to the present invention for effecting treatment of the skin on a human scalp is performed as follows. A subject with near complete hair loss and mild dyspigmentation on the scalp is seated in a stationary examination chair.

Next, using a programmed protocol for treating physical features that are known to be present on the subject's scalp (the practitioners having assessed the subject's scalp, determined that germane features included “featureless” areas of skin, age spots, terminal hairs, and sweat glands, and provided such information to the computer in order to trigger the use of an appropriate protocol), the computer positions a fractional laser above the scalp, and the laser is activated for a prescribed time and at a prescribed power for removal of a column of tissue at the target area to a depth of about 1 mm, thereby forming a channel at the location of injury. Using a protocol that is appropriate for an area in which a channel has been formed, the computer positions an applicator at a location above the scalp that corresponds to the site of injury in the second further target area. The applicator includes an inkjet-type head for delivering a composition substantially directly into the channel. A small volume (about 50 μL) of a composition comprising 6-bromo-indirubin-3′-oxime (a GSK3β modulator) and carrier comprising PEO-PPO-PEO (a thermoreversible polymer that gels when exposed to human physiological temperatures) is delivered as a fluid to the location.

The computer then uses the preprogrammed protocol to select a new target area on the portion of the scalp that is precisely 4 mm “above” (i.e., at a 90° angle from) the first target area. The selection of the further target area is in accordance with a preset directive that instructs the computer to select further target areas from a rectilinear grid defined by points that are separated from one another by 4 mm.

Next, using the programmed protocol for treating a scalp having the characteristics described above, the computer positions an applicator that is configured for propelling particles at a location above the scalp that corresponds to the further target area, and the applicator is activated for a prescribed time to deliver lithium-containing particles at a prescribed velocity (calculated to penetrate the skin to a depth of 1 to 3 mm) at the location of the further target area. Using a protocol that is appropriate for an area that has been bombarded with lithium-containing particles, the computer positions a second applicator at a location above the scalp that corresponds to the further target area. The applicator includes a spray nozzle for delivering a composition to the body surface. A small volume (about 50 μL) of a composition comprising aminoxidil and an appropriate excipient is delivered as a fluid to the location.

The computer again uses the preprogrammed protocol to select a new target area (a “second further target area”) on the portion of the scalp that is precisely 4 mm “above” (i.e., at a 90° angle from) the further target area. In accordance with the preprogrammed protocol for treating a scalp having the characteristics described above, the computer again positions a fractional laser above the scalp, and the laser is activated for a prescribed time and at a prescribed power for removal of a column of tissue at the second further target area to a depth of about 1 mm, thereby forming a channel at the location of the second further target area. Using the protocol that is appropriate for an area in which a channel has been formed, the computer positions an applicator at a location above the scalp that corresponds to the site of injury in the second further target area. The applicator includes an inkjet-type head for delivering a composition substantially directly into the channel. A small volume (about 50 μL) of a composition comprising 6-bromo-indirubin-3′-oxime and carrier comprising acrylate-lactate-PEO-PPO-PEO-lactate-acrylate is delivered as a fluid to the location.

The computer again uses the preprogrammed protocol to select a new target area (a “third further target area”) on the portion of the scalp that is precisely 4 mm “above” (i.e., at a 90° angle from) the second further target area. Once again using the programmed protocol for treating a scalp having the characteristics described above, the computer positions the applicator that is configured for propelling particles at a location above the scalp that corresponds to the third further target area, and the applicator is activated for a prescribed time to deliver lithium-containing particles at a prescribed velocity (calculated to penetrate the skin to a depth of 1 to 3 mm) at the location of the further target area. Using a protocol that is appropriate for an area that has been bombarded with lithium-containing particles, the computer positions a second applicator at a location above the scalp that corresponds to the third further target area. The applicator includes a spray nozzle for delivering a composition to the body surface. A small volume (about 50 μL) of a composition comprising aminoxidil and an appropriate excipient is delivered as a fluid to the location.

The described process is performed iteratively to give rise to additional target areas, wherein the additional target areas form a rectilinear grid relative to the portion of scalp.

Taken from Follicas most recent patent

http://patentscope.wipo.int/search/e...PCTDescription

AWESOME FIND.

I'm going to read this in full detail later on. Lets end this disease!
  • 09-06-2013 08:12 AM
    TheSwingingGate
    If anyone has the grit and determination to do this, it is you Hellouser.

Good luck, the race begins!
  • 09-06-2013 08:27 AM
    brunobald
    1mm in diameter is quite a large hole, the hole is also being held open by a slow dissolving gel. I wonder if this is part of the reason a dermaroller does not work as the skin will close back around the puncture wound. In contrast a 1mm permantent hole will force the skin to bridge the gap and create NEW tissue!

In regards to the actual laser and print cartridge technology I have a lot of experience with this stuff having built my own co2 laser cutter and I see no reason why it cannot be done. Im not proposing we build on though :) If Follica pull this off I would be more than willing to give them my custom.

Edit reading the patent back I relise it is does say the hole is 1mm in diameter but 1mm in depth. I guess the gel may still be key to creating a bridging effect?
  • 09-06-2013 08:28 AM
    mmmcoffee
    I have a lot of faith in follica but absolutely none in huffingtob post being a reliable news source. I remember reading an article on there saying a supernova somewhere in space would go off and be so bright we'd have a second sun in 2013. As someone suggested, think it was just to bring traffic in to their site. Nonetheless, still believing follica is for real
  • 09-06-2013 08:29 AM
    Scientalk56
    Sry, really i am, but i stopped getting excited..
    When I see a bald man growing a full head of hair, then i will get excited..
  • 09-06-2013 08:31 AM
    brunobald
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mmmcoffee View Post
    I have a lot of faith in follica but absolutely none in huffingtob post being a reliable news source. I remember reading an article on there saying a supernova somewhere in space would go off and be so bright we'd have a second sun in 2013. As someone suggested, think it was just to bring traffic in to their site. Nonetheless, still believing follica is for real

This wasn't on April the 1st by any chance. :)

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth

» Recent Threads

"Trans-friendly hair transplant surgeons recommended?"
02-09-2024 08:47 PM
Last Post By SonopaalFounik
Yesterday 10:32 PM
New hair care regime based on gene / anti-ageing science
02-22-2022 10:45 AM
Last Post By MolinaKim2091
Yesterday 07:28 AM