PDA

View Full Version : Sp apart from hairloss...

chrisis
03-15-2012, 07:10 AM
The fight to retain hair is ultimately about maintaining an image, and specifically for most men it's about maintaining a youthful appearance for as long as possible.

My question is what do you do apart from concerns about hair to achieve this. What have you had success with? It might be a skin cream or a type of surgery. Whatever it is, I think it's relevant in the general scheme of things.

Personally I use an SPF15 moisturiser on my face every day to try to prevent skin damage from UV rays. I also run and work out to keep myself in shape. In terms of diet, I eat fruits and vegetables, wholegrain wheat, cereals and brown rice and I stay away from sugary drinks and snacks. I'm also a vegetarian, so no meat.

What about you?

clandestine
03-15-2012, 09:22 AM
Working out 3 times a week now, trying to put on some mass. This summer I'll probably go harder, and really start dedicating myself to it. Eat a lot of eggs, meat, etc. Definitely need more vegetables and fruits, though. Thanks for the reminder.

Also, trying to do away with persistent acne on my face. Not easy, hm.

YourBoy
03-15-2012, 09:30 AM
Trying to cut down on the booze , both for hair health as well as general health... Doesn't help that this is St. Patty's day weekend tho!

Winston
03-15-2012, 09:38 AM
Acne is very much diet related. Cut back on the meat and eggs. Eat more fruits and veggies and if possible juice them. Omega 3 fatty acids from chia seeds or flax is also really important.

Tracy C
03-15-2012, 10:17 AM
What about you?

I'm a red head so I need to use higher SPF stuff, which is often very hard to find. :mad:

I make my own skin cream with pure aloe vera gel and extra virgin olive oil. I just mix them 50/50 and that's my night cream and hand & body lotion.

I work out almost every day alternating between cardio and strength building - but no heavy weights. I don't want bulk. I want curves - in the right places.

I do count calories but I also make those calories count. I rarely eat red meat and I never eat pork of any kind. I eat mostly friuts, vegitables, whole grains and plant protiens. Though I do make sure to eat at least one "free range" egg every day. I love vegitarian sausage. That stuff is so good.

Where I live it's not realistically possible to get enough fish in my diet so I take suppliments to compensate and eat fish whenever possible.

I avoid hard drinks but I do drink beer. I limit it to one a day. One beer a day is actually very good for you in a lot of ways.

I am actually the same age as Spencer but aside from my hair loss I easily look ten to fifteen years younger than I am. Now that I've got enough hair back to look presentable I do get hit on by guys ten to fifteen years younger than me. So I'm doing something right.

NotBelievingIt
03-15-2012, 10:53 AM
Acne is very much diet related. Cut back on the meat and eggs. Eat more fruits and veggies and if possible juice them. Omega 3 fatty acids from chia seeds or flax is also really important.

I agree that Omega3 fatty acids (found in abundance in oily fish like salmon and sardines) are great for skin health (and our hair!)

Juicing only makes it easier and convenient to consume a large quantity. Eating 3 "full size" carrots might seem like a lot, but when you juice it down, you wonder why theres so little to drink.

Acne is 100% a result of hormones (testosterone) and poor skin health though - diet can influence the hormonal production and metabolism though.

Organic meat and eggs will aide the increase in testosterone and protein synthesis and thats it. Non-organic may have other chemicals (steroids, growth hormones etc) that screw with your body in other ways though.

Winston
03-15-2012, 11:08 AM
Acne is in part triggered by hormones, but itís been found that people who have chronic skin conditions including cystic acne benefit greatly by reducing animal products in their diet. Itís also been found by altering ones diet completely can reverse acne rosacea and cystic acne.

@Tracy C, Spencer looks quite young for his age too. I would have guessed late thirties not late forties. Wonder what he eats?

clandestine
03-15-2012, 11:24 AM

Thanks! Good tip. My issue though is I'm trying to put on mass through working out and eating high protein, which contains the building blocks of muscle, hence where the meat and eggs come in.

Winston
03-15-2012, 11:38 AM
Thanks! Good tip. My issue though is I'm trying to put on mass through working out and eating high protein, which contains the building blocks of muscle, hence where the meat and eggs come in.

You can supplement with rice protein or Quinoa, which will give you all the protein you need to build lean muscle mass.

cleverusername
03-15-2012, 05:23 PM
I workout myself, though I'm still very young I want to stay in the best health possible my entire life, so I use heavy weights and run everyday. For everyone working out, you should try lentils for protein. They don't taste that bad and have a decent amount of protein.
I had mild to moderate acne before, but I noticed it had to do with my diet. I switched out dairy products for soy and my skin is looking really good now.

Tracy C
03-15-2012, 06:18 PM
@Tracy C, Spencer looks quite young for his age too. I would have guessed late thirties not late forties. Wonder what he eats?

I know he takes care of himself - and it shows.

Winston
03-15-2012, 06:29 PM
I know he takes care of himself - and it shows.

He does look very strong for a man his age, or any age for that matter.

NotBelievingIt
03-15-2012, 07:16 PM
You can supplement with rice protein or Quinoa, which will give you all the protein you need to build lean muscle mass.

Too bad you have to eat 5 times the amount of quinoa to match a single 2oz chicken breast for protein.

That also means 5x the calories. Adding it into a bulking diet when you are eating a caloric surplus would be OK - but as a direct substitute? well I guess if you're really against meat..

chrisis
03-16-2012, 04:55 PM
You can get protein supplements in the form of powders and such which are good enough. There are plenty of vegetarian/vegan bodybuilders. The need for protein is usually exaggerated. Beans and soy are healthy protein rich alternatives to meat.

ccmethinning
08-28-2012, 03:28 PM
Besides hair, my other biggest (possibly bigger) problem is height.

I am 5'6", and as a white male in America that is just unacceptable. I've been saving up for leg lengthening surgery and hope to get it done before I turn 25. Unfortunately it will mean a 6 month stay in a foreign hospital.

ccmethinning
08-28-2012, 04:59 PM
How much taller can it make you?

2-4 inches. 2 inches is usually 6 months downtime (sometimes less with the elite European doctors). 4 inches risks complications and usually has downtime of 9-12 months.

NotBelievingIt
08-28-2012, 06:53 PM
I'm curious what it does to your leg muscles. They are probably in a permanent state of being unable to grow. Just a guess.

ccmethinning
08-29-2012, 07:30 AM
Are there any effects later on? I mean, could you do heavy squats and run and jump like everyone else?

I would presume you could not do heavy squats. You could run and jump though. Contact sports are off-limits though.

NotBelievingIt
08-29-2012, 07:48 AM
http://www.bjj.boneandjoint.org.uk/content/88-B/12/1666.full.pdf

Its about rabbits...but usually this kind of study is applicable to humans. Connective tissue is pretty much the same in everything*

Basically the younger you are, the better chance your muscles can adapt because you are more flexible.

So if anything, work on your calf and hammy flexibility before getting this done.

ccmethinning
08-29-2012, 02:58 PM
http://www.bjj.boneandjoint.org.uk/content/88-B/12/1666.full.pdf

Its about rabbits...but usually this kind of study is applicable to humans. Connective tissue is pretty much the same in everything*

Basically the younger you are, the better chance your muscles can adapt because you are more flexible.

So if anything, work on your calf and hammy flexibility before getting this done.

Ya I've heard about that. I have a lot of work to do. I can't even bend over and touch my toes.

dex89
08-29-2012, 03:51 PM
Ya I've heard about that. I have a lot of work to do. I can't even bend over and touch my toes.

how much is the procedure going to cost you?

ccmethinning
08-29-2012, 04:01 PM
how much is the procedure going to cost you?

I probably won't get it done for a couple of years, but the prices are usually about:

India: $15,000
China: $30,000
Germany: $70,000
France $70,000
United States: $100,000

dex89
08-29-2012, 04:02 PM
I probably won't get it done for a couple of years, but the prices are usually about:

India: $15,000
China: $30,000
Germany: $70,000
France $70,000
United States: $100,000

oh wow, I'm 6'0 right now but I wouldn't mind being 6'3 lol. good luck though.

ccmethinning
08-29-2012, 04:56 PM
oh wow, I'm 6'0 right now but I wouldn't mind being 6'3 lol. good luck though.

Ya taller is always better. You're fortunate though to be already above average heightm so you've got nothing to worry about. Unless you're trying out for the NBA or want to be an NFL quarterback, you don't have to worry about your height disadvantaging you.

Myself being 5'6", I have to worry about my height being disadvantageous to me a lot.

Davey Jones
08-30-2012, 07:19 AM
Edit: Also, supplementing protein in powder form is not ideal. Not all protein is created equal. Not all protein is the same. You can't just supplement "protein" and expect it to be the equivalent to that of someone following a proper diet.

I'm tired of all this "Oh, soy is the only complete protein for vegans, and it's a shitty one at that!"

Just picking off the top of my head, an avocado has almost as much protein as a medium sized egg, and has a more complete amino acid profile than beef, chicken breast, or even whey protein. More easily digested, more complete protein. Not only that, it has a better ratio of omega oils than any of those, and a good nutrient content. And that's just off the top of my head on account of I'm eating two avocados right now (so off the top of my plate, really).

You're right, not all protein is created equal, because meat isn't as good as some totally vegan sources. Thinking that meat is the best way to get protein is outdated quackery. Keep thinking it though. I'll keep not eating meat and being stronger and leaner than you instead.

(Sorry for the in your face answer, but I was recently made fun of for eating a lot of fruit. What kind'a crazy ass world am I in when eating a lot of fruit is something people get made fun of for? Jesus Christ, gorillas do it. How does that not make it at least a little cool?)

NotBelievingIt
08-30-2012, 08:32 AM
"best"

I don't think anyone has said that without qualifying it substantially, and thats generally protein by weight.

1 pound of bonless chicken breast has about 100g of protein.

1 pound of avocado will have what, maybe 19 on the very high end?

As I mentioned in another thread I think it was, its all about goals. Lean Gains are possible, anyone who discounts it is a fool.

Davey Jones
08-30-2012, 08:46 AM
"best"

I don't think anyone has said that without qualifying it substantially, and thats generally protein by weight.

1 pound of bonless chicken breast has about 100g of protein.

1 pound of avocado will have what, maybe 19 on the very high end?

As I mentioned in another thread I think it was, its all about goals. Lean Gains are possible, anyone who discounts it is a fool.

If the human body was a "grams of protein in" to "muscle mass out" machine, I would agree. Unfortunately, that isn't even close to true. I, personally, would qualify "best source of protein" as a measure that took into account protein by mass, digestability, amino acid profile, fatty acid ratio and quality, micronutrient content, and macronutrient content aside from protein. At least those things. If I sat and thought longer, I'd probably want to throw in a few more.

Between all the enzymes and coenzymes, omega ratios and healthy fat content, the digestibility and bioavailability, and so on and so forth, meat typically only has an avocado (who seems to be on trial now) beat in the "protein by mass" category. I'm not saying that that's not important. Getting as much protein as you need is definitely a big deal. But if you're just talking protein by mass (and especially if you throw in cost), if that's all that matters, then NOTHING is beating most any protein powder, including vegan ones. A chicken breast, in my opinion, just isn't at the top of absolutely any ranking I would want to use to determine the "best source of protein."

And I certainly wouldn't want to use just "protein by mass" anyway. Though I admit that I'm not a doctor or anything. If you have an argument against any of this, I'd love to hear it. It just ain't feasible for one person to research everything, so I always appreciate hearing what other people have to say.

dex89
08-30-2012, 08:51 AM
I'm a red head so I need to use higher SPF stuff, which is often very hard to find. :mad:

I make my own skin cream with pure aloe vera gel and extra virgin olive oil. I just mix them 50/50 and that's my night cream and hand & body lotion.

I work out almost every day alternating between cardio and strength building - but no heavy weights. I don't want bulk. I want curves - in the right places.

I do count calories but I also make those calories count. I rarely eat red meat and I never eat pork of any kind. I eat mostly friuts, vegitables, whole grains and plant protiens. Though I do make sure to eat at least one "free range" egg every day. I love vegitarian sausage. That stuff is so good.

Where I live it's not realistically possible to get enough fish in my diet so I take suppliments to compensate and eat fish whenever possible.

I avoid hard drinks but I do drink beer. I limit it to one a day. One beer a day is actually very good for you in a lot of ways.

I am actually the same age as Spencer but aside from my hair loss I easily look ten to fifteen years younger than I am. Now that I've got enough hair back to look presentable I do get hit on by guys ten to fifteen years younger than me. So I'm doing something right.

It's rare to see a lady that actually takes care of her body and watches what she eats. Gratz on that Stacy, you must have a sexy ass body ;)

FlightTL
08-31-2012, 11:29 PM
I also run and work out to keep myself in shape. In terms of diet, I eat fruits and vegetables, wholegrain wheat, cereals and brown rice and I stay away from sugary drinks and snacks. I'm also a vegetarian, so no meat.

What about you?

You seem to live a very healthy lifestyle. Keep up the great work! Also, you can try facial exercises. I think this guy named Tom Hagerty has a website dedicated to teaching them :)