PDA

View Full Version : Latisse

HairTalk
07-01-2011, 08:06 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/w_MindBodyNews/latisse-eyelash-enhancer-thickens-thinning-hair/story?id=13536165

I wonder if there's any potential in Latisse (a.k.a., Lumigan, bimatoprost) for treating androgenic alopecia (male-pattern baldness). (I know this has been discussed, somewhat, before, but I felt like starting a fresh thread on the topic.)

HairTalk
07-01-2011, 08:08 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/05/fashion/05SKIN.html

http://www.ksdk.com/news/article/262962/9/Beauty-treatment-holds-promise-for-kids-whove-had-chemo

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21712909

Thinning@30
07-01-2011, 08:45 PM
I'm actually surprised there hasn't been more interest in this. I know Allergan was doing a Phase I clinical trial and results were supposed to be available in February, but so far no word. Maybe the results were underwhelming?

HairTalk
07-01-2011, 09:45 PM
I'm actually surprised there hasn't been more interest in this. I know Allergan was doing a Phase I clinical trial and results were supposed to be available in February, but so far no word. Maybe the results were underwhelming?

February, 2011? Even if the results turned out negative, I suppose we should be able to read them.

debris
07-02-2011, 02:47 AM

There was an interest. ppl on another forum are testing it. So far, they are getting no or very negligible results only.

One is for sure 0.03% solution is too low for scalp hair. And the lack of results from the guys who are testing it seems to suggest that even stronger versions will most probably be only an alternative to minoxidil.

doke
07-02-2011, 03:15 AM
The problem is in the stumptail monkeys we are not sure what is the right dose,and as we can buy it now its only in 3ml bottles which you can get fot about 12 at some sites that is still expensive if you tried 1ml twice a day.
I think that latanoprost was in the revitalash eyelash regrowth but was taken out due to the us fda as its a drug,but when it contained latanoprost it did work on eyelash regrowth.
Its a shame that uk and fda need expensive trials before it can be available to humans which revitalash and other companies cannot afford,that is why ru58841 has not been available to us.
We know that some drugs maybe unsafe and need trials but some natural products have been on sale to humans that are unsafe so if i wanted to use lattise as a topical its up to me and i have used many unlicenced hair loss products such as dutasteride.:eek:

HairTalk
07-02-2011, 09:30 AM
The problem is in the stumptail monkeys we are not sure what is the right dose,and as we can buy it now its only in 3ml bottles which you can get fot about 12 at some sites that is still expensive if you tried 1ml twice a day.
I think that latanoprost was in the revitalash eyelash regrowth but was taken out due to the us fda as its a drug,but when it contained latanoprost it did work on eyelash regrowth.
Its a shame that uk and fda need expensive trials before it can be available to humans which revitalash and other companies cannot afford,that is why ru58841 has not been available to us.
We know that some drugs maybe unsafe and need trials but some natural products have been on sale to humans that are unsafe so if i wanted to use lattise as a topical its up to me and i have used many unlicenced hair loss products such as dutasteride.:eek:

"Stumptail monkeys"? What does that mean?

I agree we've no idea about dosing bimatoprost for scalp hairloss, but I don't know the quantity would be 1mL simply because that's what's recommended for minoxidil.

I understand the problems associated with the de facto requirement of running costly and lengthy trials before being allowed to put a product on the market, but, at the same time, I feel such requirements facilitate limiting the sale of products that else would easily have failed such testing.

doke
07-02-2011, 09:45 AM
"Stumptail monkeys"? What does that mean?

I agree we've no idea about dosing bimatoprost for scalp hairloss, but I don't know the quantity would be 1mL simply because that's what's recommended for minoxidil.

I understand the problems associated with the de facto requirement of running costly and lengthy trials before being allowed to put a product on the market, but, at the same time, I feel such requirements facilitate limiting the sale of products that else would easily have failed such testing.

Thats what the lattise trial used stumptail monkeys? and of course they suffer from frontal hair loss and lattise regrew there hair.
You need to find the study its interesting.:eek:

Thinning@30
07-02-2011, 03:32 PM
I think it is obvious that the 0.03 concentration used for eyelash growth isn't going to do much for scalp hair. I don't know what dosage Allergan was testing, but I'm sure it had to be a lot stronger.

I've noticed that a lot of people on the forums I visit seem to confuse Dr. Bauman's informal studies using Latisse with the official clinical trials underway that are sponsored by Allergan. Dr. Bauman was using the 0.03 concentration that is available now by prescription, and while there may have been some regrowth in Dr. Bauman's study, my understanding was the results were not impressive.

What I do find intriguing are Hideo Uno's studies of bimatoprost on stump-tailed macaques. He claims results that were 100 times better than minoxidil. I have no idea what concentration or delivery system he used though.

HairTalk
07-02-2011, 03:45 PM
I think it is obvious that the 0.03 concentration used for eyelash growth isn't going to do much for scalp hair. I don't know what dosage Allergan was testing, but I'm sure it had to be a lot stronger.

I've noticed that a lot of people on the forums I visit seem to confuse Dr. Bauman's informal studies using Latisse with the official clinical trials underway that are sponsored by Allergan. Dr. Bauman was using the 0.03 concentration that is available now by prescription, and while there may have been some regrowth in Dr. Bauman's study, my understanding was the results were not impressive.

What I do find intriguing are Hideo Uno's studies of bimatoprost on stump-tailed macaques. He claims results that were 100 times better than minoxidil. I have no idea what concentration or delivery system he used though.

Would you be able to provide a link to the text of the study?

HairTalk
07-02-2011, 04:59 PM
One is for sure 0.03% solution is too low for scalp hair. And the lack of results from the guys who are testing it seems to suggest that even stronger versions will most probably be only an alternative to minoxidil.

.03% might be enough or it might not be, or the stuff in any concentration might be useless in treating male-pattern hairloss — we don't know (though, it would be nice to learn).

doke
07-03-2011, 01:36 AM
A link about revitalash and latisse which i have started using at http://www.pacificplasticsurgery.com/pages/latisse-and-revitalash

doke
07-09-2011, 02:52 AM
well guys the first week of using revitalash hair with one bottle of careprost mixed and i have found my hair turning darker and also looking a bit thicker.
I do like the ease of use apply after washing hair and hair still damp i will keep you posted of ongoing success if any.:eek:

Jcm800
07-09-2011, 06:09 AM
Nice one doke keep the updates coming ;)

doke
07-09-2011, 06:22 AM
hi jcm i will send in report about revitalash every week,they do say some results in 17 days.
I have just bought another bottle of revitalash at 78 so more than last one but still cheaper than retail,and if it lasts for 3 months as stated it will not be too bad.:rolleyes:

HairTalk
07-09-2011, 10:37 AM
hi jcm i will send in report about revitalash every week,they do say some results in 17 days.
I have just bought another bottle of revitalash at 78 so more than last one but still cheaper than retail,and if it lasts for 3 months as stated it will not be too bad.:rolleyes:

This might be a dumb question, but are you using RevitaLash's eyelash formula, or their hair conditioner? Also, how much did you pay (for how great a supply)?

doke
07-09-2011, 11:02 AM
This might be a dumb question, but are you using RevitaLash's eyelash formula, or their hair conditioner? Also, how much did you pay (for how great a supply)?

i am using the hair conditioner and i got the first bottle which cost 45 and i used it for a couple of weeks,then i got carried away with thr trx2 thing,which to be honest i wasted my money on.
The new bottle i have just got from ebay uk at 78 which is more than before but if it lasts three months i think thats ok.
I also have added careprost 3ml to my first bottle not sure whether to on the new one.:D

tiger
07-10-2011, 11:50 PM
I had thinning scalp since 2005. I tried Minoxidil for 6 months. I could barely see some positive effect. Then, Allergan's Latisse came out. So, I added it into 5% Minoxidil. Minoxidil solution has a lot of organic solvent. After appliying the solution, Bimatoprost would get concentrated after solvents have evaporated. After just two months of usage, my wife told me my scap hairs recovered 80%. However, I got allergic to the mixed solution. I had to stop using it. 7 months after I stopped, my scalp lost 90% of original hair.
Members here talked about higher concentration rather than 0.03%. However, the maximum solubility of Bimatoprost is 0.03% in water.

doke
07-11-2011, 05:28 AM
hi tiger its the worse thing you can do if minoxidil works to just stop using as you say you may get mass fallout.

HairTalk
07-11-2011, 11:00 AM
I had thinning scalp since 2005. I tried Minoxidil for 6 months. I could barely see some positive effect. Then, Allergan's Latisse came out. So, I added it into 5% Minoxidil. Minoxidil solution has a lot of organic solvent. After appliying the solution, Bimatoprost would get concentrated after solvents have evaporated. After just two months of usage, my wife told me my scap hairs recovered 80%. However, I got allergic to the mixed solution. I had to stop using it. 7 months after I stopped, my scalp lost 90% of original hair.
Members here talked about higher concentration rather than 0.03%. However, the maximum solubility of Bimatoprost is 0.03% in water.

Do you have pictures from throughout this timeline that you could share?

HairTalk
07-11-2011, 04:20 PM
http://www.wrcbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=14650729

baroudeur
07-17-2011, 03:22 AM
Hair by Revitalash is a unique hair conditioner designed to improve the appearance and health of your hair. This remarkable treatment can enhance the look of fine, thin and fragile hair in a matter of weeks

so it doesnt act on the follicle,it is just like a concealer......
your hair will look think again if you stop using it?

doke
07-17-2011, 03:31 AM
hi even if revitalash did help in hair loss the company cannot state that due to fda rules,otherwise they would have to have expensive trials as in the case of propecia and minoxidil.
So although some natural treatments talk about hair regrowth they can get into a hole lot of trouble with advitising in uk and usa.
I am using revitalash myself but its only been two weeks,i do still notice that my hair is slightly darker and also it would be good if it did help in regrowth as its so easy to use.:)

baroudeur
07-17-2011, 03:50 AM
doke,how do you know if the drug added will be stable in the conditionner?
they say there is no drug in the revitalash hair condtionner? :confused:

doke
07-17-2011, 04:28 AM
i added 3ml of careprost to the bottle,but the revitalash does contain trifluoromethyl dechloro ethylprostennolamide so the new bottle i have i not added careprost because i want to see how it works straight out of the box.
I will keep you guys updated.:)

johnnyboots
07-17-2011, 07:43 AM
Hair by Revitalash is a unique hair conditioner designed to improve the appearance and health of your hair. This remarkable treatment can enhance the look of fine, thin and fragile hair in a matter of weeks

so it doesnt act on the follicle,it is just like a concealer......
your hair will look think again if you stop using it?

completely useless product {tried 2 bottles}and exspensive at that.

baroudeur
07-17-2011, 08:15 AM
sorry i meant thin
well there are some pictures from salon,now i dont understand why its so expensive since there are no drug in it

baroudeur
07-17-2011, 08:15 AM
if revitalash shampoo came out,it will make it even less credible

doke
07-17-2011, 10:16 AM
how long did you bottles last as they are small and 3 months seems a bit long.

baroudeur
07-17-2011, 10:30 AM
are you still using mega tek doke

doke
07-17-2011, 01:28 PM
are you still using mega tek doke

hi barouder no i am not at this time,i am using regenpure shampoo some days and alpecin the red bottle.

Cory
07-21-2011, 02:50 AM
Bitamoprost has been approved from december 2008, I don't understand why Allergan didn't start trial then we would know by one if this works.

I think they're hoping for 2013 release (if it works).

stillinHS1994
07-21-2011, 02:48 PM
Plzzzzzzz god work!!!!!!!!

doke
07-22-2011, 01:43 AM
hi guys its like ru58841 many years of talk and no show some of the stem cell treatments that may have to be injected or scalp rollered for use may be the next thing but we do not seem too have come far from 1980s when minox was released and then propecia.

VictimOfDHT
07-22-2011, 02:04 AM
Minox and Fin are from the 90's not 80's. Fin actually is late 90's.

mlao
07-22-2011, 02:26 AM
Minox and Fin are from the 90's not 80's. Fin actually is late 90's.

2% minox by prescription was introduced in the 80s. 5% OTC came in the 90s.

doke
07-25-2011, 06:26 AM
2% minox by prescription was introduced in the 80s. 5% OTC came in the 90s.

thats what i though m as i was using the 2% in 1987 and there companies already making 4% and 5% in the late 80s.:eek:
That long ago it only seems like yesterday oh well:eek:

Jcm800
07-25-2011, 07:52 AM
Did you ever have much luck with Minox doke? I'm three months in and have benefited from three hairs sprouting on my hairline and the loss of loads from the shed!

doke
07-25-2011, 09:34 AM
I think i did but only with an antiandrogen added which was at the time progesterone,i think that minox+propecia is the best treatment at this time and if you can also get some minox mixed with some antiandrogens you are fighting the dht my friend.
But the Latisse maybe better than minox only time will tell as you know im on revitalash and hope to add some latisse to the regrime soon as well.:eek::D

Thinning@30
08-20-2011, 09:21 AM
Here is an update on Latisse:

http://www.bnet.com/blog/drug-business/allergans-potential-baldness-cure-clears-one-hurdle-heads-for-the-hard-part/9516

It looks very promising, but I'm disappointed to learn that estimated time to market is 2014 or 2015. I was hoping this would be a "bridge" treatment until the next generation of hair loss treatments (HSC or regenerating donor) were released.

On a positive note, the active ingredient in Latisse, bimatoprost, is available now, albeit in a very expensive and diluted form. If the trials continue to show promise, I suppose people couldl arrange to have it compounded.

HairTalk
08-20-2011, 11:24 AM
Let's see what happens.

uninformed
09-15-2011, 06:08 AM
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-09-12/botox-maker-allergan-tests-eyelash-lengthener-for-baldness.html

apparently in phase II now or is this old news

kobefan234
05-24-2014, 12:51 AM
been applying this to temples. not sure if its working or not.

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc481/alexiqbal/DA7D336F-13A1-42D1-AB54-F9CC5D7466FB_zpsf585fpcq.jpg (http://s1214.photobucket.com/user/alexiqbal/media/DA7D336F-13A1-42D1-AB54-F9CC5D7466FB_zpsf585fpcq.jpg.html)

thechamp
05-24-2014, 12:54 AM
been applying this to temples. not sure if its working or not.

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc481/alexiqbal/DA7D336F-13A1-42D1-AB54-F9CC5D7466FB_zpsf585fpcq.jpg (http://s1214.photobucket.com/user/alexiqbal/media/DA7D336F-13A1-42D1-AB54-F9CC5D7466FB_zpsf585fpcq.jpg.html)

How much do you apply any sides so far ?

kobefan234
05-24-2014, 11:05 AM
I use 5 or 6 drops on each temple. If I'm really depressed on some days I will put more than 5 drops. I can't say there have been any side effects

rdawg
05-24-2014, 02:12 PM
I use 5 or 6 drops on each temple. If I'm really depressed on some days I will put more than 5 drops. I can't say there have been any side effects

It takes at least a couple months to see any significant results. You shouldnt apply TOO much, maybe 0.5ml per temple and 1ml anywhere else.

That being said what youre using is a very weak solution(0.03%), what's being trialled for hair is anywhere from a 1%-10% solution.

kobefan234
05-24-2014, 06:56 PM
It grows eyelashes and eyebrows really well. The scalp hair seems to be harder to grow hair . Or turn thin baby hairs into mature follicles